Transmission Files Not Inheriting Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Hey Guys,

I've been burning up Google trying to find a solution to this issue but I'm not seeing anything.

So I have a "bittorrent" folder within my "media folder". The "media" folder is an SMB share. I am the owner/user of both folders and "ServerAdmins" is the owner group as shown in the WebConfig page for FreeNAS. My transmission client/jail/daemon is set as a member of a group called "TransBT". I manually added the "TransBT" group to the permissions for the "bittorrent" folder and gave it full control.

No problem, all of that works great, transmission is able to download files and I'm able to use them with my Admin user status so I didn't question it until now.

Here's where the problem arises. I also added a group called "ServerUsers" to the "media" and "bittorrent" folders, gave that group read/list contents/execute rights and set all folders/files to inherit rights from their parent folders. This works flawlessly for the "media" folder and all of the other shares on my server but it gets all messed up with transmission in the mix. It looks like when I download a movie or something, transmission creates a folder for the files which inherit the permissions perfectly but the files inside ONLY have "ServerAdmins", "TransBT" and then some "921 (Unix User\921)" permissions. So I can access these files with my Admin account, watch videos, use files etc except even my admin account doesn't have full control. The files are not inheriting the correct permissions and I can't change them!

I can perfectly understand Transmission maintaining control of active files so that things that are being shared aren't being moved or deleted, except from within the client, but I would like them to inherit some permissions so that ServerUsers can watch the movies and use the files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This is interesting, they are trying to use acl type permission model with a Unix process. This won't work but you can just change the user transmission runs as.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.