Traffic coming from wrong lagg interface

CGlas2021

Cadet
I have reconfigured an installation of TrueNas Core 13u1 to use two lagg interfaces. The first LACP LAG (lagg0) is comprised of two 1GbE onboard the Dell PowerEdge t320 motherboard and is configured with an IP on my Management VLAN (VLAN 50). The second LACP LAG is comprised of two 10GbE interfaces from a PCIe card in the same macine (obviously) and is assigned an IP on my Stroage VLAN (VLAN 60). The two LAGs are connected to a USW-24-PoE and UniFi Aggrigate switch respectively with the ports configured for LACP and assigned to the respective networks. Assigning the networks on the LACP port configuration on the UniFi side is (to my understanding) the same as assigning the LACP group to a vlan untagged. Is this correct?

I've assigned the Storage VLAN IP to the DNS record for the NAS and setup SMB and NFS shares with no issue.

The issue I am seeing is when i copy a file from the NAS to my computer on the Home VLAN (VLAN 10), the traffic on the TrueNAS dashboard is showing the traffic coming from the 1GbE Management LAG rather than the 10GbE Storage LAG which has the IPO assigned and where I would expect to see the traffic coming from.

I''ve disabled firewall rules blocking inter-vlan traffic for some other troubleshooting so they're aren't in the mix. and I've disabled Jumbo Frames (MTU 9000) for troubleshooting as well, the issue still persists. Has anyone seen this before and any helpful hints how I might resolve this?

I just saw this post (IMHO Very, Very strange TrueNAS VLAN-handling) and it sounds related. I'm more of a server guy so when it comes to vlan tagging, trunk ports, and so on... I'm a little green. Is it better to have the two LACP LAGs set as trunks and use the VLAN interfaces to break up the traffic or can I proceed as described above with simple network assignments similiar to VLAN untagged ports?

*** Update, all I have to do is change the default route in global settings and the traffic flows through whichever interface is on that subnet... it doesn;t make sense to me without further config of the static routes or... I don;t exactly know what I'm missing.

Last edited:

Volts

Patron
What is the goal of "breaking up the traffic"? Please share a diagram.

Packets don't care about feelings. They don't think of themselves as "Home" or "Storage" packets, or as "Management" or "DEADBEEF" packets. They don't even know where they're coming from. They just take the next best hop forward that they can.

Pretend you're a packet, sitting in the NAS, trying to get to the home computer.
You need to figure out which way to go.
You look at your destination - the IP address of the home computer.
You look at the routing table on the NAS.
You compare it with the IP address of the home computer.
You find the best, most-specific path to the destination.
Is one of the interfaces directly connected to the home computer?
... or is there a manually-configured route?
... or the default gateway, if there isn't a better route.
Off you go, to the next hop!
And the pattern repeats! Which way to go?! What routes are available?

77% of home labs have unused VLANs.
Of the remaining home labs, 55% would be faster with less segmentation & firewall traversal.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer