Toshiba Hard Drives for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romulus

Dabbler
My plan was to get WD Reds for my FreeNAS build, but I can get my hands on 4 new 2tb Toshibas DT01ACA200 hard drives for a reasonable price....much less that what they are listed in Amazon. Should I go for it or wait until I get my hands on WD Reds?

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
The SATA interface 7,200 RPM desktop series drives are targeted at desktop all-in-one and gaming PCs, home servers, external HDDs, and consumer electronics products such as set-top boxes and digital video recorders.
These are not drives intended to go into a NAS. You may want to do more research before buying.

Romulus

Dabbler
Thanks for your advice. I did more research to find out that if I value my data I should go with NAS drives...kind of obvious.
So I am planing on 4 2tb WD red drives. My motherboard (X9SCM-F-O) has 4 Sata 2 3gb/s ports and 2 Sata3 ports. Would I be able to connect 6 wd red drives to create one volume or I only have the option to make one volume of 4 wd reds and a second volume of two wd reds? Thanks for your help.

snaptec

Guru
You can make one volume out of the 6 drives

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Romulus

Dabbler
Thanks for clarifying that. I was worried I was going to be limited to only two sata 3 hard drives, because only two of the sata ports on the motherboard are sata3. That installing 6 sata 3 hard drives across all available ports in the motherboard was not possible. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.