TimeMachine quotas are implemented poorly.

ziphe

Cadet
Hello, right now the time machine quota is applied as an obscure user quota and is not editable anywhere in the GUI. I have to go into the command line to edit the mysterious 1TB time machine quota, and even then, the quota is *reset* to 1TB when the machine reconnects. This should be changed to be a dataset quota so it's much more obvious (specially since the "multi user time machine" preset already creates one dataset per user).

Is there any way to stop the "multi user time machine" setup from re-applying quotas on reconnect? I'm having to make an hourly cronjob to fix quotas...

ziphe

Cadet
Disregard, I found the user quota and the other threads about the default 1TB limit for large deployments. I still think it makes more sense to make it a dataset quota since every user is getting a dataset anyway. Also the default 1TB should be configurable somewhere or at least a notice so that users aren't met with an error if their mac is bigger than 1TB.

DannyB

Cadet
I believe the default creation of user quotas for time machine was removed in yesterday's nightlies for exactly the reason you cite - "it confuses users".

jct

Explorer
@anodos: Do you think the samba team would consider a pull request that refactors vfs_fruit and Time Machine support into two separate modules?

It seems to me that vfs_fruit.c has too much on its plate, and that your vfs_tmprotect.c is the start of a more focused, purposeful integration with Time Machine. I'd like to explore the following improvements.
  • Detect and report per-share/per-user quotas — from zfs and/or from dot-files.
  • Make snapshots using a replication-compatible (if not configurable) naming convention.
  • Specially label the latest successful snapshot while pruning older snapshots.
  • Trigger a script hook upon success or failure of a session.
I'd also factor the .plist parsing out into a lib/util_plist.c.

I'm sure you have a backlog of intended improvements, as well. I'd imagine they overlap with the above. May I work with you to get them done?

One of my primary uses of TrueNAS is multi-site buddy backup, of mostly Macs. I think vfs_tmprotect can be key to doing this efficiently and effectively, but at present it doesn't quite fit with the usual scheduled replications.

Thanks!