Time Machine No Free Space issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

iHeartMacs

Explorer
Hi community,

I've setup an awesome (my perspective) Freenas for TimeMachine and I'm running into an issue. I keep getting a "no free space" issue. It happens after an initial backup with TM. My settings for the share's were set up with the wizard. I have also setup share's manually just to see if the issue happens and it does. I used a group called "time Machine". I have users who have their own separate shares. (dave_backup, mary_backup, etc.) I have set individual quotas at 4tb. Here is the weird part. Everything looks great then suddenly , in a Mac's Time Machine, The space available shows only 3.45 GB? what gives? I set my quota for 4,000GB. That's 4TB right if I'm not mistaken. I hope someone can give me some insight and I'm willing and more than able to get this working tip top.

Maybe I accidentally setup some 4gb instead of 4tb quota somewhere? Maybe in the group? not the user?

adrianwi

Guru
Not quite sure about your terminology, but I have 3 Macs backing up with TimeMachine to FreeNAS with much smaller quotas and have never seen any space warning messages.

I have separate Datasets for each machine (e.g. /mnt/pool/tm_mac1, /mnt/pool/tm_mac2, etc,) and set the quota on the dataset as these only have a share setup for the appropriate machine with a user and password. The datasets are not used for anything else.

Don't know what you need a "time machine" group for or how you are sharing space on your FreeNAS pool (is it one dataset that is shared by all of the Macs?), but its worked very well for me over the last few years in the way I've described.

iHeartMacs

Explorer
Not quite sure about your terminology, but I have 3 Macs backing up with TimeMachine to FreeNAS with much smaller quotas and have never seen any space warning messages.

I have separate Datasets for each machine (e.g. /mnt/pool/tm_mac1, /mnt/pool/tm_mac2, etc,) and set the quota on the dataset as these only have a share setup for the appropriate machine with a user and password. The datasets are not used for anything else.

Don't know what you need a "time machine" group for or how you are sharing space on your FreeNAS pool (is it one dataset that is shared by all of the Macs?), but its worked very well for me over the last few years in the way I've described.

Thank you, yeah my brain was on overload when I wrote this. I too have separate data sets for each backup ( e.g. /mnt/pool/dave_backup, pool/ron_backup, etc,). I've used the same setup as you have for many years with previous versions of freenas 9 and below but with freenas 11 I read a "how to" that said I need to a group to the dataset in permissions. That group being TM and then each user has a sign in as usual. Maybe that's where things are going wrong?

adrianwi

Guru
Can't help much beyond that, as I'm still on 9.10, but most of my users are just set up with their own group (e.g. bob:bob), the permissions on the dataset are set for that user, and the share allows them access with the time machine checkbox ticked. Maybe the time machine group is something new?

iHeartMacs

Explorer
Yeah I think I'm going back to that route. Any reason you like 9.10 over 11?

adrianwi

Guru
Still trying to wean myself off a few virtual machines running in VirtualBox jails. I've started to move some to bhyve and will eventually move to 11.x but I'm holding off until everything's a little clearer. Everything still works on 9.10.1-U4 so nothing pushing me at the minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.