SOLVED TimeMachine auto snapshots on TrueNAS Scale

aviegas

Dabbler
As discussed here, on TrueNAS Core a TimeMachine designated share would be auto snapshot on a clean share disconnect (SMB2 TREE_DISCONNECT).

I've noticed since I've migrated to TrueNAS Scale (still running 12.3.1) that this feature stopped working.

Anyone knows if it works at all? If yes, how do I get it back to a working state (maybe on Cobia)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

aviegas

Dabbler
Well I've made two changes and it's now working again. I don't know which one is the key and right now I can't do a test to determine it.

First I've done the obvious: upgrade to Cobia (23.10.1.3), Next I've disabled "Shadow Copies" on †he share.

Maybe something got fixed on 23.10.1.3 or some having VSS disabled is now a "requirement" for †he auto snapshot.

The later is a reasonable assumption, as there is no reason whatsoever to have VSS on a TimeMachine volume. The auto-snapshot is a great feature, as it's quiet easy to corrupt the backup.

If you want to make an offsite backup of the TimeMachine share, you must do it on a snapshot otherwise it will never mount on macOS.