Time to upgrade hardware, will this work please...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Hi all,

I've searched long and hard for some new hardware recommendations and come up with this little lot. Can anyone see any problems with this please.? I'm going to be running a home setup but trying to make it as professional as my budget will allow. One z2 Raid set of 6 drives, one stripe set of three drives. Several jails and plugins (currently running 5 but will probably end up with around 8), but only lightly used in reality.

Mother board - Supermicro X11SSL-CF - I love the extra Sata/Sas ports
CPU - i3-6300 - Seen a recommendation for the 6100 but can't source one in the UK.
Memory - 2 x Crucial 16GB ECC DDR4 2133MHz - Wanted to go for the Samsung variety but again I can't source it in the UK.

Any thoughts please before I commit.

TIA

Paul

Arwen

MVP
My one comment is that with several jails and plugins, a 2 core / 4 thread CPU might
be a bit sluggish. That said, you indicate that they will be lightly used. So it's your call.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
My one comment is that with several jails and plugins, a 2 core / 4 thread CPU might
be a bit sluggish. That said, you indicate that they will be lightly used. So it's your call.

Ahhh. Good point - thank you. I've been going around in circles for a long time now trying to balance cost against future proofing and I'd taken my eye off the ball with regards to the CPU. So, I guess the Xeon E3 would be a better option then, something like the E3-1220v5 3GHz?

diedrichg

Wizard
Crucial is Micron's consumer brand, so you are good to go there.

You didn't say what kind of plugins you would be running but I'm going to assume one of those is Plex or Emby with the necessity to transcode. A single 1080p transcode is around a 2000 PassMark score, a 720p transcode is a score of about 1000. Do some research here

http://m.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

to find the best processor to fit your potential needs and GHz:PassMark:£ ratio.

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Crucial is Micron's consumer brand, so you are good to go there.

You didn't say what kind of plugins you would be running but I'm going to assume one of those is Plex or Emby with the necessity to transcode. A single 1080p transcode is around a 2000 PassMark score, a 720p transcode is a score of about 1000. Do some research here

http://m.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

to find the best processor to fit your potential needs and GHz:passMark:£ ratio.

That's a really useful link, I will only be doing the occasional transcode but it's good to know there will be some head room with that CPU. Main plugins will probably be OwnCloud, Syncthing, Clonedeploy and usenet stuff, Plex will be installed but only as a backup to my hardware media player.

Thanks for the info.

diedrichg

Wizard
Check out the E3-1230 v5, it gets a significantly higher score for a little more money. The extra 400 GHz would help with I/O too.

Last edited:

Pandamonium

Dabbler
Check out the E3-1230 v5, it gets a significantly higher score for a little more money. The extra 400 GHz would help with I/O too.

Good shout that :smile: Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.