Time Machine Setup

skyline65

Explorer
I’m in the process of reconfiguring part of my Freenas server for Time Machine and QRecall Backups http://www.qrecall.com/. At the moment the backup is setup as 4x3TB drives Z2 and with 2 separate datasets. I’m finding using 10Gbe connection that there is a bit of flakiness when Time Machine (every 1hr) and QRecall (every 20mins) both back up simultaneously. TM is about 1.5TB (set as a quota) and the QRecall archive is about 800GB. QRecall de-dupes on the fly so usually only a few GB is actually transferred and TM varies from 100MB to 20-30GB.
I’m running 10.12 using AFP for Time Machine and SMB for QRecall. All the data on my Mac is also backed up to Google with Arq as well.

Would 2 separate 2x3TB mirrors would be better choice keeping TM and QRecall apart? I could go to 6x3TB Z2 pool or even 2 4x3TB Z2 pool although I only need about 2TB space each for TM and QRecall. My main concern is the flakiness as stated which has caused the QRecall archive to get corrupted.

skyline65

Explorer
I went with 2 separate 2x4TB mirrors keeping time machine afp and qrecall smb totally separate. Freenas just didn’t like simultaneous backups to different datasets with different protocols on the same vdev (WD Reds). I don’t think a
Apple have helped with the mess they have made with smb. However it works.

My new dilemma is trying to replace my media vdev 6x3TB with 6x8TB disks. I think I’m going put in the new disks and cp rather than replace each 3TB disk and rebuild.