Ticket #635 Intel 82576 Jumbo frames issue (Supermicro X8DTH-6F), with fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbaker82

Dabbler
In regards to this ticket: http://support.freenas.org/ticket/635

For the past several days i've been fighting a problem with FreeNas 8.2 Beta4 in which the Network interfaces would quit responding from outside the machine. The fix mentioned in the above ticket corrected the problem I was having; however, finding the information took a very long time. It seems to me that perhaps these settings should be a default setting, or noted somewhere in the installation instructions so that someone new to freeNAS who experiences this issue can figure out how to fix it relatively quickly.
login as root and type enter the following commands:
mount -uw /
echo kern.ipc.nmbclusters=\"131072\" >> /boot/loader.conf
echo hw.igb.num_queues=\"4\" >> /boot/loader.conf
sync ; reboot

ProtoSD

MVP
Since version 8.03, it's no longer necessary to add settings to loader.conf like you posted. From the GUI there are two places under System in tree menu, Loaders & Sysctls, where you can add these settings and values. The way you are doing it, it doesn't persist after an upgrade.

cmbaker82

Dabbler
Thanks for that tip, I didn't realize it would not persist. But even with adding it there it seems that they should be added by default on new installations or documented in the install guide so a new person doesn't have to spend so much time trying to find out how to fix the nic issue

Status
Not open for further replies.