Thoughts and Questions on GlusterFS

jasonsansone

Explorer
I see that Gluster is now listed as a service for the Nightly builds of TrueNAS SCALE. I have enabled glusterd as a service and Gluster appears fully configurable from the CLI. Is there anything stopping playing with it other than a lack of GUI integration?

Also, how will healing be handled with Gluster? Are ZVOLS treated as a single "file" or will only underlying changes be copied during a heal? My understanding is that Gluster runs a complete rsync anytime a brick is out of sync (usually from downtime). That is fine for files on ZFS. Only some of your files within a dataset may change and thus only changed files need to be copied to the node which was out of sync with your other(s). I am not overly concerned about Gluster for a typical HA file store which is providing NFS or SAMBA services. However, my experiences with Gluster make me concerned regarding its viability to provided clustered storage in an HCI appliance, which is what I understand SCALE is aimed to be.

I tested GlusterFS as a filestore for Proxmox in a lab environment. It was a COMPLETE disaster. The problem is that Gluster treats a raw disk or qcow2 as a single object. If the running VM changes even a single block of a 100GB qcow2 virtual disk, the entire 100GB qcow2 had to be copied to the out of sync brick. Now, scale that up to ten VM's... because I did. I used a three node replicated cluster on Proxmox running ten virtual machines all with 100GB qcow2 virtual disks. I intentionally took one node out of service "for maintenance" and then brought it back online. Gluster wanted to copy 10 x 100GB "files" in order to heal, thus crippling IOPS and freezing up the VM backend.

Contrast that with Ceph. Ceph, being a block based storage, only heals the actual underlying changes for each VM when OSD's go out of sync. I ran the exact same tests described above using Ceph, and the heal process was only a few GB which replicated over 10GBe in a minute's time. Ceph didn't need to copy the entire VM virtual disk's contents, only the actual changes.

Is there a plan or has there been testing yet regarding how Gluster will handle healing for linux containers or virtual machine disks? My experiences tell me it will attempt to copy the entire RAW disk or zvol, which is extremely inefficient.

sretalla