Thought I would say HI finally...

Tzvia

Cadet
Well I've been happily using another FreeBSD based NAS solution for years, and tended to keep it up to date. I did lurk around here a bit years ago to see if I could find a reason to bother switching, but I live by 'if it aint broke...' so I didn't. But the last two years have been crazy, life got in the way and as it worked, I left it alone. Finally I went to update it again last month, and discovered the current version has an issue with MS AD, seems to join the domain, but cannot read the users/apply their permissions. Tried a few things, but gave up because it needs to work. While my NAS needs are light (home use) the data includes precious pictures and videos of family who are now gone, Dr/lawyer papers, tax stuff... I've got an old Supermicro MBD-X10SLM-F-O/Xeon E3-1241 v3 and 32 gigs ECC, so I pulled out the boot drive to preserve my old config, slapped in a new SSD and installed TrueNas Core. Have a ZFS striped mirror of four 4tb Toshiba NAS drives, and one ZFS 6tb Seagate NAS drive that I would RSYNC the important stuff to as a second copy, and a USB external 4tb drive that I would RSYNC to as a 'bugout' drive. Had four 3tb drives as well but removed those (they were used for ISCSI to another server (esxi - 6 VMs) but updated that box and the servers are all now local storage).
Once I got past the 'where is everything at here' I got my pools imported easily, joined the domain, setup the RSYNC, setup shares and permissions, and it all works. Being a newbie to TrueNas, I'll probably be lurking around here, to see if there is anything I may have missed or could leverage for better performance or security as I become more familiar with the interface and what TrueNas offers. Yea, I work in IT, at a school. (Don't knock it, healthcare is cheap, I guess because I am a state employee a lot is subsidized LOL).
So far, everything works as advertised, on 13.0-U1.

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you have things well in hand! Don't hesitate to ask questions here - good background description in line with Forum Rules expectations usually gets good response..

Last edited: