It's time to say hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMC

Dabbler
My old garage server has been choochin' along for odd 10 years, mostly running debian and home made maintenance scripts; A few years ago I read about FreeNAS and thought, when time comes, that is what I'll use!

So, the controller choked about 40 days ago, and the wife gave the green light to build something new, and not from found parts this time. (Well, sort of, the newer of the disk drives that have been changed through the years, get to keep going); But most of them are new (Got a really good deal on some Toshibas, and although not strictly the same, I believe some of HGST's work lives on in them)

I'm still reading up on documentation, blog posts and the forum; There is a lot if information,
but luckily, burning in hardware is a long and tedious process :)

I'm at the point now, where the parts have been bought, the system installed and running, but not yet polished.

So in short, I've finally arrived to join all you fine people, and I'm giddy as wee mountain goat at the top of the hill.

I'll try my best to search before asking, do the work and enjoy the long nights.

Hello to you all
-Jens.

ninja edit: Its => It's, but you can't edit the topic now can you. There for eternity I guess :)

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's, but you can't edit the topic now can you.
Actually, you can! There should be a tiny link at the top of the page.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome aboard!

JMC

Dabbler

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I'm still reading up on documentation, blog posts and the forum; There is a lot if information,
but luckily, burning in hardware is a long and tedious process :)
Welcome, sounds like you are being wise and taking the right track. These forums are chock full of useful information and it may appear daunting at times to know what to focus on when reading. Most of the contributors have links to suggested threads in their signatures; if you haven't already take a look at those and they will help you in your endeavor.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And we'll be happy to shove you in the right direction if you get off-track.

Reactions: JMC

JMC

Dabbler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Perfectly acceptable, I'm not in kindergarten anymore! :D

Not everyone has sufficiently thick skin. And I do mean shove, at least sometimes. But we'll get you there if that's what's needed.

In any case, there's a huge range of experience out there in the community, and it's unusual when no one has something intelligent to say about a question. Especially a good question.

Status
Not open for further replies.