This rsync lacks old-style --compress

mvcad

Contributor
Hi All,
I have a bash script that runs several rsync command from my TrueNAS box at work to a Synology box at home. I noticed this message on the log files:

"This rsync lacks old-style --compress due to its external zlib. Try -zz.
Continuing without compression."

what does it mean?
It still works although I would prefer to use compression to reduce internet bandwidth usage.

shoud I replace -z parameter by -zz?

This is my Rsync command
Code:
rsync -avz --delete --exclude '.recycle' -e "ssh -p $PORT -i $SSHID" $SOURCE $USER@$SERVER:$TARGET > $LOG 2>&1

Thank you for your time

artlessknave

Wizard
many of those nas boxes use non standard or old versions of bash and other software (I'm looking at you QNAP).
compression will only apply when it sends data afaik, so unless you have lots of large files changing often, it I dont think it will really do much. rsync is already designed to save bandwidth by only sending changes, which will always be better than compression.
you can try the -zz, it shouldn't hurt, but honestly I would be surprised if it saved much bandwidth.
in my view, the most important thing here is whatever gets rid of the log message.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I have a bash script that runs several rsync command from my TrueNAS box
Why don't you use an rsync task for that?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
We compile with FreeBSD's base zlib rather than the one built into the rsync port. The reason for this is that we are currently using a slightly older rsync version due to broken NFSv4 ACL support in the upstream freebsd port of rsync.

Exhorder

Explorer
Not sure if it related, but when trying to run rsync with compression, it fails:
Code:
sending incremental file list
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: rsync service is no running (code 43) at io.c(687) [sender=3.0.9]

Source: Synology NAS
Destination: TrueNAS rsync module

Command run on Synology:
Code:
rsync -avz /volume1/Share/xyz truenas1::storage1/archive/

Running without -z argument works fine.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Not sure if it related, but when trying to run rsync with compression, it fails:
Code:
sending incremental file list
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: rsync service is no running (code 43) at io.c(687) [sender=3.0.9]

Source: Synology NAS
Destination: TrueNAS rsync module

Command run on Synology:
Code:
rsync -avz /volume1/Share/xyz truenas1::storage1/archive/

Running without -z argument works fine.
Probably. try -zz.
As mentioned earlier, there are technical reasons why the FreeBSD rsync is being built this way.

As mentioned earlier, there are technical reasons why the FreeBSD rsync is being built this way.
I'm assuming this will remain the case with TrueNAS Core 13.x?

Yet within Jails, the version of rsync will be the one from the ports?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm assuming this will remain the case with TrueNAS Core 13.x?

Yet within Jails, the version of rsync will be the one from the ports?
That's correct. This is a nuance of how ports / jails are implemented. Once you start building ports there you're basically on your own (like you would be if you installed FreeBSD in a VM).