There are known problems with these drives - No Newer Firmware Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
I have a FreeNAS-11.0-U1 server with 4x1TB drives of various makes/models in a raidz1 array. It appear to be functioning well.

I notice the following lines in the console messages in the footer.
Jul 16 23:26:35 nas03 smartd[2338]: Device: /dev/da1 [SAT], WARNING: There are known problems with these drives,
Jul 16 23:26:35 nas03 smartd[2338]: see the following Seagate web pages:
Jul 16 23:26:35 nas03 smartd[2338]: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207931en
Jul 16 23:26:35 nas03 smartd[2338]: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207963en

So I assumed that there is a Seagate firmware available for this drive /dev/da1. Here are the specs:
Drive da1
Drive SN 9QJ8528L
Make Seagate
Model Barracuda ES.2
Model #ST31000340NS
Part# 9CA158-031

I checked the Seagate website and though I find that drives with somewhat similar drive types have firmware updates available, I don't find any for this specific drive.

Should I be concerned about this error?
Is there a solution that I have not thought of?

Thanks!

m0nkey_

MVP
I think, but don't quote me on this, the Seagate ST3100xxx series of drives were known to fail without warning, which is why they're being flagged by smart-mon-tools as "known problem".

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Thanks m0nkey_! So if this was your NAS would you replace this drive to try to prevent a problem?

Stux

MVP
How many of these drives do you have (one?) and how much redundandancy do you have? dual drive? If so, perhaps don't worry about it...

BUT, i would try very hard to make sure there isn't a firmware update available :)

What FW are you running?

I had two Seagate 1.5TBs with similar FW issues fail nearly simultaneously some while back... that was fun... and part of the reason why I'm a big supporter of RAID6/RaidZ2.

(the drives just bricked themselves one day)

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Running raidz1. Only one drive is being reported with this warning. When I looked up the drive the Seagate website said that there was not newer firmware available. Firmware is currently 300F on the drive.

Sorry you had two fail at almost the same time. Did you loose any data or was your redundancy sufficient? Yes, I like raidz2 better than raidz1 as well.

Stux

MVP
Running raidz1. Only one drive is being reported with this warning. When I looked up the drive the Seagate website said that there was not newer firmware available. Firmware is currently 300F on the drive.

Sorry you had two fail at almost the same time. Did you loose any data or was your redundancy sufficient? Yes, I like raidz2 better than raidz1 as well.

Can't quite remember, I think I had just switched to using 'Raid6'. Was using a Drobo at the time, and part of the reason I upgraded to a 5 bay model, from a 4 bay, was to begin using Dual Drive Redundancy.

But no, either my backup was sufficient, or the redundancy, because I did not lose data.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Glad to hear that.

Status
Not open for further replies.