The backup throw down

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPlumber

Patron
The issue is that ZFS is not designed for WORM media of any type. Theoretically you could clone detached vdevs to WORM media and then import them read-only. However that's a science project far away from FreeNAS.

grep137

Dabbler
Thank you DaPlumber for attempting to entertain my (admittedly) outrageous idea. :)

What would be the best way to backup only a portion of your zpool (will replication work on different sized pools?) to an older (local) machine running FreeNAS with ZFS? This seems to be the only cost effective solution for those fortunate enough to have older server boards (will FreeNAS run reliably on older boards?).

Here's one more (forgive me for going off topic again):
Sony has developed a new storage tape that is able to hold up to 185 terabytes (TB) of data per cartridge.

Sony is also working on more consumer-friendly storage - in March it announced it was working with Panasonic on the Archival Disc, which will hold 1TB of data, the equivalent of 250 DVD films.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27282732

The Archival Discs are set to be released in 2015, with the first iteration coming with 300 GB of storage space, the second with 500 GB, and the final release with 1 TB. The optical discs are said to be temperature, humidity, dust, and water resistant, and to have a shelf-life of at least 50 years.
[This may not be correct -- other sites say that the release date is undetermined]
http://www.conneticsusa.com/communications/sony-storage-tape/

danb35

Hall of Famer
To replicate only a portion of your pool, set up that portion in separate datasets. You'd set up replication tasks for any dataset(s) you wished, on whatever schedule you wish. As long as the destination pool has enough capacity for your data, you're set.

grep137

Dabbler
Thank you danb35.

DaPlumber

Patron
@grep137: If it's a disk it can carry an image of a vdev in a zpool and be mounted read only. Tape (linear access media), not so much. Images could be stored there but would have to be restored to a disk to be accessed. You're probably better off archiving files to tape.

I can't believe this sort of thing is still an issue 40+ years after I first heard about it! ;)

grep137

Dabbler
Thank you DaPlumber. Really appreciate all of the experts here taking their time to answer my naive questions.

fx24

Dabbler
I don't agree with her point. I also dont find FreeNAS that expensive which makes it a superior home storage solution.

For <$3,200, you can build a FreeNAS rig. I also included an UPS in this price.
  • Fractal Design Define R4 case (quiet)
  • Quality PSU
  • Supermicro (8 SATA ports mobo)
  • Quad core Xeon CPU
  • 32GB memory
  • 7 HDDs (WD Blacks, 5yr warranty) in a RZ3 for 16TB
  • Water cooled CPU
  • Quiet case fans (quiet)
Much of this is overkill...

I slapped this together in 5m and didn't spare much expense to come up with something nice; numerous other combinations exist to hold 6-10 drives in RZ2 or 7-11 drives for RZ3 for a total of 16TB-32TB. $3,200 isn't that expensive compared to enterprise; typical enterprise-grade solutions are thousands higher in cost. If having a copy of data located on all of your PCs (1-copy), and also archived on a FreeNAS server(2nd-copy) isn't enough, you could just build another server (3rd-copy) to sync all of the data. This would give you much redundancy and peace of mind, and would still be less than $6,400.

If you are worried about fire, then you should decipher between what is important to you and what is critical to you such as those priceless family photos or home business data. Once you draw that logical line, you can then place that data onto a single disk or two and place it in a fireproof box, pay to have it backed up online, or have a friend/family member store the disk(s) for you.

It comes down to deciding just how important that data is to you; either way you look at it, $2,500-$6000 isn't that expensive if you really value your data. If you do really need 16-32TB, then you should be planning how to implement your network topology, build your FreeNAS server(s), and how to save up for it. That much money is very doable to save up over time considering how much we spend on other things which are trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.