Testing TureNAS 12.0-U7 on HPE DL380G7 - tried to create large pool drives all disappeared

H.Jares

Cadet
The system has a on board SmartArray P410i controller for the 7 drives in the server.
These are configured as RAID5 with hot spare on the controller.

The system also has two SmartArray P812 controllers in slot 1 and 4.
Each controller is attached to two D2700 storage enclosures with 25 300GB 15K drives.
I configured the controllers to treat each drive as a separate RAID0 device since the controllers don't support HBA passthru mode.

So initially after I installed TrueNas 12.0-U7, the system saw all the drives (101).
I used the first drive just for TrueNas installation.
Then I created a with all the drives.
Then I noticed that the manual said I could have designated hot spares.
So I attempted to delete the pool named Pool01.
There are no instructions on how to delete a pool that I could find to reconfigure a system.
I must have done it incorrectly. After trying something the system hung for overnight.
The next day I decided to reboot it with a power off. I know this is BAD.
I figured I would just reinstall everything.

So I did reinstall everything.
From the shell (via the WebGUI), when I do a "ls /dev/da*' I see 101 drives.
From the WebGUI, Pools indicates "No pools" and Disks only shows da0 as boot-pool (the controller RAID5 volume) and the two disks that I wanted to use as spares.

Why can't I see the 48 drives?

I booted a HPE Storage utilities DVD and verified the controller does see all the drives fine.

Sorry if it is a dumb question. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Howard

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I configured the controllers to treat each drive as a separate RAID0 device since the controllers don't support HBA passthru mode.

Well, there's your problem.