Testing drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeStar

Patron
Hi guys,

I have 4 X 4 TB SATA drives that I want to test.

I'd like to run a SMART long tests on them.

I'm wondering if there's a way to do that without having to open up my FreeNAS box and plugging the drives in SATA.

I have drive enclosures that would allow me to connect the drives with USB.

I don't think I can run SMART test though USB, am I right?

Could I run tests from a Windows or OS X machine with the USB enclosure?
Is that reliable as much as the SMART test ?

Or I could use a machine that's sitting around, install the drives and install FreeNAS or FreeBSD for the sole purpose of testing the drives but I feel this is complicated just for testing drives.

So, my question, basically : what's the most efficient, yet reliable, way to test HDD ?

Thanks !

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I don't think I can run SMART test though USB, am I right?
Right, for all practical purposes.
what's the most efficient, yet reliable, way to test HDD ?
I use eSATA docks attached to a Vostro 420 Ubuntu box for all kinds of drive testing, data recovery etc.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Or I could use a machine that's sitting around, install the drives and install FreeNAS or FreeBSD for the sole purpose of testing the drives but I feel this is complicated just for testing drives.
Actually, this is what I have been doing. I have a "Dev/Test" system that is exactly the same as my other boxes. This allows me not only to test HDDs, but RAM and other components as well. In a worst case scenario, I could grab parts from this box if needed. While it may not be the most economical route for everyone, it seems to fit me well.

Status
Not open for further replies.