Temperature Monitoring - FreeNAS 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Hello all, I have read through the forums about this topic and found some script information related to FreeNAS 8 but wanted to get a new thread going for Temperature Monitoring for FreeNAS 9. I am new to FreeBSD so I am not sure what the right commands are to call on the monitoring of temps inside the box. I am hoping that this thread will make it easy for others like me as well to understand what to do.

Request: Provide a script that will call and monitor CPU and Hard Drive temp that will notify via email address if the temperatures exceeds a set threshold.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Hi depasseg, thanks for the quick reply and the link. You are right it seems this is already answered so I apologize for not finding it during my search.

I have followed the GitHub instructions but have one question. What permissions do I have to set to make this work. I created the cron job with user root but I am getting permission denied errror when running the job. Not sure if the permission issue is on the share or other. What permissions should I set?

May 13 11:04:42 FreeNAS cronjob: /mnt/Pool1/Scripts/TempGraphing/rrd.sh: Permission denied

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Request: Provide a script that will call and monitor CPU and Hard Drive temp that will notify via email address if the temperatures exceeds a set threshold.
For hard drives, that's already part of the base install. Turn on the SMART service, configure it with an email address, and give it a temp threshold. It will email you if any drive exceeds that temp (or if any SMART errors appear). It doesn't graph the temps though. For CPU, why? If you've designed your system properly with appropriate parts, there shouldn't be any issue there.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
I think it is useful to see a graph of the temperatures over time as this box is also hosting my Plex services so it is doing trans-coding on the video streams.

danb35

Hall of Famer
And? You should have burned in your CPU with a tool like Prime95 before putting the system into production; that would stress it much more than transcoding a stream with Plex. If CPU temps were fine for that, they'll be fine.

I get that people like graphs--they're pretty, and they do give an idea of trends that's hard to pick up with just numbers. I use the scripts in that other thread too. But graphs aren't nearly as important as a lot of people seem to think. For drives, FreeNAS already does temperature alerting; for the CPU, your BIOS or IMPI should do it.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Dont get me wrong here, you are right about burn in and I did that when I originally setup the box. Did the CPU and Memory stress tests and all passed. I just want to have a "pretty" graph that I can look at and see temp variations over time.

If anyone can help with the permissions I need to set on the folder and share for this to work I would appreciate it.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I made a script if you want, no graph but then it's also simpler to use, look at the "Useful Scripts" link in my signature if you're interested ;)

Glorious1

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.