systemd-nspawn for TrueNAS, what are the plans? Parity with jails?

I understand the next release of SCALE will include systemd-nspawn. I also understand one can freely create their own chroot "jails" using the command-line. That's not the reason for this thread.

Is iXsystems planning to give SCALE users something with equal parity to iocage / jails in Core?

These are the following that would make it "just as good" as iocage in Core:
  • A legitimate GUI where one can create a new "jail", and even later modify such options by clicking "Edit". (Networking, properties, etc)
  • A GUI to manage "mountpoints", similar in concept to how iocage under Core let's you point them (via nullfs) to the host's "real" datasets / folders
  • A dedicated pool / dataset that will house all your "jails", such as how Core uses <pool>/iocage

Not to sound demanding, but if the above won't be implemented in SCALE, then I don't see it as a viable alternative to how iocage/jails are handled in Core, GUI and all. Simply saying "Hey, you can use systemd-nspawn in the command-line" isn't on the same level as what we currently have with Core.

* I use the terms "jail" and "chroot" interchangeably in my post.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I understand the next release of SCALE will include systemd-nspawn. I also understand one can freely create their own chroot "jails" using the command-line. That's not the reason for this thread.

Is iXsystems planning to give SCALE users something with equal parity to iocage / jails in Core?

These are the following that would make it "just as good" as iocage in Core:
  • A legitimate GUI where one can create a new "jail", and even later modify such options by clicking "Edit". (Networking, properties, etc)
  • A GUI to manage "mountpoints", similar in concept to how iocage under Core let's you point them (via nullfs) to the host's "real" datasets / folders
  • A dedicated pool / dataset that will house all your "jails", such as how Core uses <pool>/iocage

Not to sound demanding, but if the above won't be implemented in SCALE, then I don't see it as a viable alternative to how iocage/jails are handled in Core, GUI and all. Simply saying "Hey, you can use systemd-nspawn in the command-line" isn't on the same level as what we currently have with Core.

* I use the terms "jail" and "chroot" interchangeably in my post.
Crawl, Walk, Run...

Jails are clearly more mature and robust at this point in time. But, if you are a developer, this is an opportunity to contribute.

Can I use you to write all my PRDs?