System running out of swap space

perana

Cadet
Recently upgraded to TrueNAS 12 RELEASE after running the beta's and system was running fine on RC1.

Since upgrading the system is becoming unresponsive after about 24hrs, checking the logs I can see that it is running out of swap space and killing the network connections it seems, system has 32GB of RAM, and looking at logs RAM utilisation is completely fine, so I'm at a bit of a loss

Error messages in console look similar to this for many different processes:
Nov 1 08:51:30 Fileserver kernel: pid 361 (python3.8), jid 0, uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.02.56 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.02.56 pm.png
    368.7 KB · Views: 258

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Check your tunables for vfs.zfs.arc_max and reduce that number by a GB or 2 if it's there.

perana

Cadet
Thanks, was set to around 30GB so I've reduced it a bit, will see soon how it is

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm not sure if it's a slightly bigger OS or something else that caused it, but the autotune parameters from 11 seem to have been not far from the total RAM amount, which TrueNAS 12 seems to be unable to work around.

I reduced it a lot on my server with 128BG of ram (to 92GB) and haven't seen swapping since, but I have no idea what the sweet-spot is (I guess some function of total RAM - VM/Jail needs - System needs).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm not sure if it's a slightly bigger OS or something else that caused it, but the autotune parameters from 11 seem to have been not far from the total RAM amount, which TrueNAS 12 seems to be unable to work around.

I reduced it a lot on my server with 128BG of ram (to 92GB) and haven't seen swapping since, but I have no idea what the sweet-spot is (I guess some function of total RAM - VM/Jail needs - System needs).
Don't use auto tune it's not what you think.

sretalla