Syncthing on TrueNAS Scale 21.08 Beta

TrueNASnoob

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering whether anyone has had any success in getting SyncThing up and running on TrueNAS Scale 21.08 Beta?

I am new to TrueNAS but built a system and installed Scale 21.08 Beta as the OS. I am loving it so far! I would like to add SyncThing as an add-on but I see it isn't available in the list of apps. Has anyone else had any success in getting it installed? If so, would you mind please sharing with me how to do it?

My goal is to sync a dataset with a folder on an Android phone. It should be simple but would help me out immensely to have this automated.

I have searched online but can't seem to find anything recent. There was one post of a command line install from a 2020 version of Scale but at that time the GUI hadn't been coded yet for scale like it is now. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
it isn't available in the list of apps
Are you sure?

1631106561538.png

TrueNASnoob

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. I did actually notice the Truecharts plugin but I gather this isn't the official version of syncthing for Truenas and worry about threat vectors when installing from third parties. If I understand correctly, which I may not, truecharts seems to be like flatpak is to Debian.

That said, I am new to all of this so it you're confident that truechart is safe and reputable, I'll explore it next.

Thanks again!

c77dk

Patron
truecharts is made by "old" people from the forums - so personally I'm not nervous about using it. Just got my own syncthing migrated from CORE jail to truecharts and it just works (after a little tinkering, but that's just because I wanted it setup in a special way)

TrueNASnoob

Cadet
Thanks c77dk! I installed TrueCharts and now I'm trying to figure out how to configure SyncThing for install. As I mentioned before, I'm totally new to TrueNAS so I'm a little lost when it comes to the "4. networking and services" section of the install. Is there any chance someone might be up for a chat to help me get it up and running? I just don't know what settings to tweak here. All I want to do is limit SyncThing's access to one of my SMB shares for a specific dataset. That said, I don't know what I need to tweak here from the 9 step install process, if anything. Thanks to everyone for the help!

TrueNASnoob

Cadet
Update -- I selected the default settings to test it out. It installed just fine. I then set up a new dataset for where I want syncthing to store files on the NAS. But I can't figure out how to get Syncthing to save the data there. I'm sorry guys I know it's annoying when someone is a noob; I'm really trying here without turning to help.

I watched some Youtube videos but they are all based off of FreeNAS jails for configuration. There, it shows I need to create a user with ID 983. That doesn't seem to be an option for me on Scale. I must be missing something. I don't understand where Syncthing would store files if I configured my Android to do a data dump there now. Yet, the syncthing portal is working just fine. It looks like it would be willing to save if I synched, just no idea where it would go.

truecharts

Guru
It might be best to read and watch the quick-start guides of TrueCharts on https://truecharts.org

About the security issues: Thats definately something to take into consideration. It's unwise to trust someone just because of them being known on a forum or not.
The only thing we can do is to show we take security serieusly. For example: We always try to run apps as non-root and only run containers from trusted or official sources, while limiting dependencies to an absolute minimum.

However: not all our Apps are as secure as others, feel free to ask on discord or email to verify how secure we find specific Apps!

TrueNASnoob

Cadet
Hi everyone, I'm sorry to revive an old post here. Back in September, I actually figured out how to get everything working... Eventually. It was great up until last night when a power outage took out my NAS and now I'm stuck rebuilding from scratch. The documentation I made on how I got this to work was stored in the pool I lost (stupid, yes I know).

Could anyone help out please? I'm back to trying to figure out the installation configuration steps of SyncThing and getting it to talk to my dataset and SMB share. I've watched and read the truecharts material but it isn't helping me. I just wish I had saved my config once it was all working - a mistake I won't make twice!