SOLVED Switch from Nightly to Release

bsotak

Dabbler
Is there a way to switch from the SCALE nightly builds to the RELEASE version? I'm currently on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.1-MASTER-20220223-072928 but was thinking I'd go to the stable release now that it's out. I saw a few posts that said to go back to the non-nightly boot environment and upgrade from there, but unfortunately I've been on nightlies for a long time and I've cleaned out old boot environments. Please let me know, thanks!

@bsotak

You have two options:

1. Switch to a previous ALPHA, BETA, or RC boot environment, then upgrade.

2. Install RELEASE from ISO as an upgrade on the same boot media. It will try to migrate your nightly config, but it will not start middleware on boot. You will need to reset config settings after booting into RELEASE and restore a config backup from an ALPHA, BETA, or RC. Even then, there is a known issue of restoring from older config backups that include the secret seed in the TAR file. You have to pull out the freenas-v1.db from the TAR file, then manually set up all your passwords (credentials, email notifications, ups master/slave, etc.) again. That is exactly what I did last night. I set the RELEASE boot enviroment "keep" option in the event I switch to nightlies again.

Last edited:

heppu

Cadet
If you know what you are doing you can also modify the middleware can_update function to always return True. I did that and then successfully updated from Bluefin nightlies to first Bluefin release using the UI.