Suspicious SMART errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, I locked it. There really is no reason to have yet another thread on this topic. Some searching should have provided you with the answers without being #7, 8, or whatever. :P

And its not strange at all.

Hard drives fail. They are probably the most common component to fail in a FreeNAS server.

People don't search. So they run to the forums to do a "me too" post without trying to search, only to get snarky responses that tell you to do exactly what we've told the previous 50 people in the last month to do.

adrianwi

Guru
I hear what you're saying, and did a quick search of the forum before I posted mine, but I think people are simply looking for some reassurance from more experience members when things start to go wrong.

I suspect the number of SMART outputs posted (I didn't even know how to get this until I'd seen it posted in one of the other threads) would support that theory, where someone who actually knows what they all mean can offer some sensible advice to noobs who might be a little worried.

Still strikes me as a little suspicious that all these were within such a short space of time. Might be interesting to know what version each of the OP were running when the errors were reported?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't see it suspicious at all. We've gotten far more than that in week. In fact, we've gotten several in a day.

The reality is that SMART is strictly internal to the hard drive. Commands are sent to the hard drive to run the given diagnostic, and the hard drive runs its own diagnostic.

So even things like corrupted drivers, a broken OS, or any other externalties aside from things like fluctuating voltages causing errors on the disk don't affect SMART results.

As for everyone wanting a pro to verify their disk is failing, I can appreciate that request. But we don't have the manpower to hand-hold everyone with everything. I've stopped responding to these kinds of threads because I'm not here for one-on-one support for every little thing. If you can't figure out with all of the information we've already provided on the topic what is wrong then either you probably shouldn't be administering the server or you should probably be paying someone to admin your server.

Nobody in this forum is paid for their time. Nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.