SuperMicro X11SRA-F failure?

jjgurley

Cadet
I have a server that after 2 1/2 years of smooth operation does "nothing". No fans, no beeps.
I've stripped the board down to the processor and fan, and out-of-the-case, grounding the front panel PWR-ON connector does nothing. Not even a short twitch of a fan.

If I ground PS-ON on the power connector, the fans do run, although I don't run the experiment very long since it's not really a clever thing to do.

A spare power supply doesn't help. I don't have a spare processor, so I'm trying to figure out if it's the CPU or the M/B. SuperMicro tech support says a m/b, processor, and processor fan are all that's needed to get some activity.

My questions are, should the fans power up if the CPU is removed? How does the CPU control the PS-ON signal?

I found a replacement m/b online and have it coming, but it would be much less work to fix the existing m/b (or processor) since all my licenses will need replacement, etc. I have a bare metal backup, so I'm not too worried about restoring data.

JohnK

Patron
I just had a similar problem, granted it is a ASROCK and not Supermicro. It ended up being dead Ram modules. New/replaced ram and everything ok.
Just out of interest, do you have a monitor connected or IPMI? I find supermicro boards great with error codes...

JohnK

Patron
no error codes when it won't power up.
was not sure from initial post that it was completely dead. I have had many Supermicro boards and only once have I experienced a completely unresponsive board I bought as parts from Ebay...

any updates?