SuperMicro H8SGL-F-O Motherboard Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCochran

Contributor
I bought a brand new SupeMicro H8SGL-F-O motherboard from newegg.com, with 32 Gb ECC Kingston RAM (using the exact model specified in the SuperMicro "tested memory" list for quad rank), and an Opteron 1674 processor, and the board does not show any video when power to the board is turned on. Does anyone have experience with this board? I want to use it as a "new, improved" FreeNAS server board -- but probably running FreeNAS as a virtual machine.

I have swapped the ECC memory around, and tried a stick of unbuffered 4 Gb crucial.com memory, and followed other advice in the motherboard manual except that of buying a POST card to get the post codes off interrupt 80. The Opteron 6174 comes from a build that I did on a different motherboard, and I know the processor works. At this point I wonder if a POST card is worth it. Perhaps I zorched the processor when I de-installed it from the old board several weeks ago.

I know this is not a motherboard troubleshooting forum, I'm just posting in case someone might have experience with this board.

I am also aware that I can RMA the board through SuperMicro. Several newegg.com reviews for this board stated there was a need to RMA those boards, so I knew I was taking a chance when I bought this board.

Thanks

Bob

louisk

Patron
Typically, if the machine doesn't post, it will produce a beep code for the failed component (cpu, ram, etc..)

BobCochran

Contributor
Thanks, Louis. Being deaf, I asked my wife to listen for beep codes and she reports there are none. I know I can also invest in a post code card to get the post codes. The manual has quite a listing of them in the appendix. Any suggestions about a brand of post code card that just works?

Bob

louisk

Patron
Hmm. If it's not beeping, I would guess that it is either posting properly (and there is some video problem) or its not even getting far enough to throw an error on post. If its the latter, you need a new board. If its the former, I would try getting a video card connected and see what happens. You should see some output.

I've never used a post code card, in fact, hadn't even heard of them.

BobCochran

Contributor
Thank you, Louis. I installed a PCIe video card that had never been used, but this did not help, there is no video. The board appears to be dead. I just submitted an RMA request and hope to have a new board soon. If the replacement board doesn't work I'll ask for a refund and get a different brand of board. There doesn't seem to be a lot of boards for Opteron socket G34 though.

Thanks again for your support, it is much appreciated!

Bob

louisk

Patron
I've never actually used an opteron, although I hear they are quite nice for database work.

All my systems are Intel Xeon flavored. I'd suggest you stick with Supermicro as that is the most tested platform (from iX systems who sponsors FreeNAS).

BobCochran

Contributor
Hi Louis,

This will be my second Opteron-based system. The first one is on an Asus KGPE-D16 board. It runs great and is rock solid however the onboard USB seems a little shaky. Sometimes USB devices that are plugged in are not recognized. But overall a very good experience.

I will have more to say after I get the replacement board working -- hopefully it will be better than the one I just sent back.

Bob

BobCochran

Contributor
newegg.com emailed me today about my returned Supermicro board. They have inspected the board and found bent cpu pins -- they say the pins are bent beyond repair. So the RMA is cancelled and they are sending the board back to me without replacing it. I do recall that when I installed it, the processor was seated properly in the socket but the metal arm that causes the processor retaining cover to clamp down and engage had a lot of unexpected resistance. I pushed hard on the metal arm but stopped when I continued to get resistance. That "push hard" moment might have been what bent the contact pins on the motherboard. I guess the processor was not seated properly.

I just examined the bottom of the processor where the contact pins would go, using a magnifier, and that at least seems undamaged. So I will eat the loss and order a new board. This will teach me to use much more caution when installing the processor.

Bob

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi BobCochran,

Contact Supermicro directly & see if they can help you out. Also check with your credit card company & see if they have any sort of buyers protection available for you.

-Will

BobCochran

Contributor
Thanks very much, Will! I will see if SuperMicro can straighten the pins on the ruined motherboard. However, I can't afford to delay this project much longer. I have already ordered a replacement board and will be extremely cautious when I install the processor this time. Sometimes one has to just eat the expense and learn the lesson.

Bob

BobCochran

Contributor
I think this is mostly resolved now. The new motherboard arrived, and has been set up, and happily for me it started right up without a problem when I switched on the power. I have a basic configuration of FreeNAS 8.04 running on it now. No special loaders or anything. I will test it tonight to see if I can transfer my friend's photo collection to the CIFS share (see some of the system details in my signature below.) Then I need to add a bunch more hard drives. I really want to run FreeNAS as a virtual machine, so I can take fullest advantage of the Opteron processor. I am reasonably pleased now, I just need to test the existing configuration and see how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.