SuperMicro C847, X8DTH with LSI 9211-8i HD Lights Always on (SOLVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visseroth

Guru
Is this a permanent change or does it revert on reboot?
Will this work with HGST drives or is this explicit to Seagate drives?

It is permanent. I have made changes years ago and still working fine.
I am not sure if this will work on other drives, but I would run the simple "GET=RLM" command and see if it returns a valid line 1 or 0. If it does then it is possible that it will work. i just googled HGST and RLM and it appears to be same.

Last edited:

Visseroth

Guru
Hey, I just tried the sdparm, finally, and upon having it get it would give me a error, "RLM not found in protocol specific port (SAS) mode page."

If I tried to save it would give me, "mode sense command: Illegal request"

I'm trying to do this to a SATA NAS drive via a USB sata adapter. Do I need to have this plugged into a sas device or do it directly on the server?

I had to plug mine into server data port, then after done I plugged it back into the sas and the raid volume rebuilt fine and lights worked.

To clarify,
I took my sas drive and plugged it into a sata slot which I was controlled by the onboard sata ide controller ich10. Then I ran sdparm and changed settings as described. Then I plugged it back into the raid 1 sas port and it rebuilt and ran fine.

Visseroth

Guru
So the data on the drive changed and the server had to rebuild the drive?
Oh, that's a job.

No, the data did not change.
I have a server with 16 SAS drives, some were already populated with data and setup in raid 1 arrays, and others had not even been populated with data yet. I took each drive and pulled it from its hot-swap bay and plugged it into a bay on another server, that was setup as an IDE SATA port, and ran the program on it. Then after I was done running SDPARM, I replaced the drive back into its original location (some were part of RAID 1 arrays and others were not) and if it needed to reestablish the array it would rebuild otherwise not.

Status
Not open for further replies.