SuperMicro Backplane Compatability lsi 3008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a X10SRH-CLN4F motherboard from supermicro. This comes with the lsi 3008 HBA. I have successfully flashed the controller to IT mode. I believe the chassis the motherboard is in, is a supermicro cse846-el1. The reason I'm not sure is because it was purchased off eBay and all the listing had was cse846. Its the chassis that has 24 3.5 inch drive bays in the front and 12 in the back with single expander backplanes. My issue is this. Everything boots fine if there are not any drives plugged into the front backplane, but if there is a drive present at bootup the sas controller hangs at initializing. I'm trying to figure out if maybe its a compatibility issue with the front backplane but, I can't find a model number for the backplane anywhere. I have the serial number off the backplane. Could that be used to find the model number? Abut 15 minutes searching the internet didn't help me there. Does anyone have any experience with this type of hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mlovelace

Guru
If you call Supermicro and give them the S/N they can tell you the model number and specs.

OK. Thanks for the suggestion. I called them and got the model number. The backplane is a bpn-sas2-846el1. Does anyone have any experience using these with the 3008 controller series?

What seller did you purchase your chassis from? Me and i believe a few other FreeNAS'ers got the 4U 24 bay servers from this seller. That particular seller sells the 4U chassis with the "BPN-SAS2-846EL1", it has 3 SAS connections on the upper right handside when looking at it from inside the chassis. However i have no experience with the LSI 3008 controller im sorry to say.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sas3 doesn't play nice with sas2 backplane. I'm not sure of the details but it's something you shouldn't do.

I have it partially working as of right now, but it seems SweetAndLow is right. It wont utilize the expander so it will only recognize drives plug into one or the other backplane. Going to go and get a lsi 9211-8i tomorrow, which should take care of the issue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The LSI 3008 controller is not well supported. Search the forums if you want to know more. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.