Supermicro AS -2014S-TR and TrueNAS Scale

PhilD13

Patron
Anyone know if the Supermicro AS -2014S-TR server will work out of the box with TrueNAS Scale without requiring any additional cards (LSI IT mode cards etc.} or hoops to jump through?

I am going to be replacing a old 36TB QNAP rack server that has become unreliable hardware wise. I am thinking of using a
Supermicro A+ SuperServer model: AS -2014S-TR in basically a default configuration setup from Supermicro.
Single 7302 Processor 16-Core 3.00GHz 128MB Cache
64GB DDR4 3200MHz ECC RDIMM Server Memory - (increased from 16GB)
using the rear 2 slots for boot disk in a mirror config. - (deleted single front drive added 2 ssd's to rear slots)
Populated with 8 SATA drives I already have to start with
The primary usage is for file and photo storage for windows computers.
It will also have an old Supermicro SC836 16 bay JBOD chassis connected to it and populated with 8 SATA drives I have to start with. The JBOD will be connected with an LSI type pci IT mode card

I did see one person on the forum that was using or planning to use this server with TrueNas scale but it was not in much detail of the setup.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Broadcom NIC is dodgy, but workable with Scale. No-go with Core. It's also only Gigabit. So you probably want an Intel 10 or 25 GbE NIC.

I think that Supermicro's default config has all bays wired for SATA, but it's best to specify that when ordering, as your distributor's config may be slightly different. You wouldn't need a SAS controller for the internal bays, but it's an option if you needed SAS for whatever reason.

PhilD13

Patron
Thanks for the reply.
All the stuff floating around about TrueNAS requiring drives to be connected to IT mode cards only and whatnot kinda put me off on buying something new. Last thing I want is to have to buy more stuff to bypass part of the system to make it work.

All the drives going into it are SATA so if it's set for SATA as a default then thats fine and if Scale can access things properly in the systems default configuration then great. Also it is only going on a Gigabit network so the default is good for now and if in the future I need more I can add a card. It is just storage for two people and will replace a Gigabit connected QNAP system and it keeps me from being locked into one vendors software when they decide they don't wish to update it anymore.
I do plan to add an external sas pci card I currently have for the JBOD chassis.