SuperMicro 4U CSE-846 Server Backplane SAS2-846EL2 Build Question...

{c}guy

Dabbler
Hi gang,
I'm building a new home server and this time I'm jumping into the supermicro chassis for my build. This is my first time using a SAS Backplane, and I could really use some advice on what HBA controller to get? I've got 18 sata enterprise drives (6x6tb, 6x2tb, 6x10tb) going into this baby, and I'd like to make sure I'm getting the right HBA controller that will work with the backplane in the subject line.

Can anyone recommend a good card to use? As I understand it, I won't be using the raid functions at all, since I'll be installing the newest TrueNAS build when I build this system. On my older build I simply flashed the cards to make them basic HBA controllers, and I'm happy to do the same again, if this is the best solution.

Thanks in advance for your help and any recommendations...
{c}guy

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Don't use RAID, just a well-behaved HBA controller flashed to IT mode to make Free/TrueNAS happy.

I presume the TrueNAS install will for fun and testing? I ask since it hasn't been released for production yet so you may uncover / experience something unhappy. I hate waiting (the special VDEV features look amazing) but I'm not skilled enough to deal with potentially unstable systems.

As for the "right" HBA controller, I'd check the recommended component build list. See page 12 of the perhaps somewhat dated hardware guide that you can download on the this page (yellow box in upper right of window). Basically, anything based on LSI HBAs that are reasonably current should work great. I have one such LSI HBA chip integrated into my motherboard.