Suggestions for pool config with 4 drives and two flash accelerators

tk4two1

Cadet
I'm looking for help on the best way to configure my drives, here is what I am working with...
1x HP 120GB SSD, currently used ads TrueNAS Boot drive, Bluefin
2x Sun Oracle F80 800GB PCIe Flash Accelerator
4x WD 14TB HDD

I was planning on using the 4 -14 TB drives in a Raid-z vdev and one of the F80s as the cache drive.
I was thinking of using the other F80 as a LOG or Metadata vdev, but was just reading that if I were to lose either of those vdevs, the whole pool is gone, so that's a no go.

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion since I'm a bit stuck on what to do that would make the most sense.

Thanks!

Arwen

MVP
If you loose a SLOG during normal run, you do NOT loose data. Loss of a SLOG during a graceless reboot, (aka crash, un-expected power loss, etc...), then you loose data. But only the data in flight. Thus, some people setup their SLOG as a mirror. To be overly clear, you can only loose data from a failed SLOG, IF it fails after the crash and before it empties it's self back into the main pool.

Further, SLOGs are only good for Sync data transfer, like used for external VM storage with iSCSI or NFS.

Now for the Special vDev, (aka metadata vDev), yes, this is CRITICAL to have the same redundancy as the main data pool. For example, 4 x 14TB disks would generally need to be in a RAID-Z2 configuration because of their size and potential for another block or disk failure during re-silver. So a Special vDev would need to be a 3 way mirror in order to have the same 2 disks of redundancy as a RAID-Z2 pool has.

In general, maxing out the RAM is suggested before adding an L2ARC vDev, (aka Cache device).

You almost seem to be trying to find a way to use the F80 flash drives.

Perhaps you should describe you use for TrueNAS SCALE. Using the F80 flash drives in a Mirror for applications might be a better choice.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm hoping someone has a suggestion since I'm a bit stuck on what to do that would make the most sense.

Welcome to the forums.

Please note that users are asked to provide details about their systems in order to help guide more relevant answers; for example, if you only had 16GB of RAM, we'd tell you to avoid using your accelerators as L2ARC, but if you had 192GB or 256GB, then it might make sense to use one as L2ARC. The Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, provides some recommendations for useful information you can provide about your system.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The very first thing is to be clear about what you want to do with your system. Everything else follows from there.

tk4two1

Cadet
Thanks for the input everyone, my system will mainly be used for Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, etc. I will also be installing Nextcloud for some file storage, nothing too fancy. I will probably run a single Ubuntu server VM and/or a Windows 10 VM.

My specs are as follows:
Supermicro x9 SRH7F
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v2 @ 2.20GHz
64GB RAM ECC
1x HP 120GB SSD
2x Sun Oracle F80 800GB PCIe Flash Accelerator
4x WD 14TB HDD

After messing around with settings and different configs, I'm thinking the suggestion to mirror the F80s and use that for xi-applications and for VM storage is my best option. As far as the 14TB drives, I was thinking of setting them up RAIDZ1 to get the most storage space. I also plan on setting up a cloud sync task to Backblaze for the really important stuff like the xi-application data and my Nextcloud, so If I have two drives fail simultaneously, I can easily get it back after rebuilding.

Thoughts?

Last edited: