[Suggestion] Shrink the amount of UI-padding here and there, with example

probain

Patron
So I'm filing another suggestion. Jira NAS-125058
If you happen to like it. Feel free to upvote it.

This time it's that I would like to see just a tiny bit less padding on the UI-elements (rectangles). The best place I've found, that really illustrates my point, is under the Storage Dashboard. Where if I have truenas zoomed out to 90%, the amount of data presented on the screen is doubled. Which is quite a good exchange (imHo)!
Screen (1920x1080p @ 100% scaling).

Chrome / Webbrowser at default 100% zoom:
1699084932367.png

Chrome / Webbrowser at 90% zoom: (I will keep TN at this setting from now on).
1699084978862.png

My point is that with relatively easy means the information could be presented imho better. Giving a more comprehensive view, due to being able to see more. Whilst still keeping things readable.

You should see the Snapshots page in Core. Selecting the checkbox for batch operations limits your view to under 10 snapshots. :tongue:

The UI has much wasted space in Core, and the rows are too thick.

I don't use SCALE, but I'll vote for this ticket just to bring attention to these GUI concerns.

Last edited:
Every page by default wastes vertical space. :frown:

This has an even worse impact on other pages that display a "list" of things, such as snapshots.

wasted-space.png

For some reason, they have needless slack at the top. Web browsers have already passed this problem by cleverly using the "title" header.

The green highlighted area demonstrates how much extra viewing space you get by cleaning up the top of the UI.

Last edited:

probain

Patron
You should see the Snapshots page in Core. Selecting the checkbox for batch operations limits your view to under 10 snapshots. :tongue:

The UI has much wasted space in Core, and the rows are too thick.

I don't use SCALE, but I'll vote for this ticket just to bring attention to these GUI concerns.
I don't know how it's done in Core. But I touch on that subject too, here

I don't know how it's done in Core.
The UI needs a serious overhaul in Core. It's too "touchy feely" and has redraw issues.

The fields are too bulky, there's a lot of slack, and the quirks with the UI itself can trigger accidents.

Case in point: Let's say you use the "filter" in the Snapshots page to narrow down the view to a handful of snapshots. Then you expand one of the snapshots, click its "DELETE" button. The view will "redraw" and it will look like you deleted the wrong snapshot because some elements from the previous view remain intact! ("Whoops! Did I delete the wrong snapshot?") What's even funnier is that if you try to delete the top-most snapshot after doing this, TrueNAS will spit out an error saying "This snapshot does not exist." (If you refresh the page or re-type the "filter" in the text field, then it will "fix" the view.)

It's unnerving for "enterprise quality" software. (I've lost much motivation to file bug reports and tickets for every little thing, since it takes a degree of energy, and it feels like an uphill battle. The best way to catch these things is for developer's to personally use their own software and get annoyed by the quirks themselves. It's tedious to have to precisely describe the problem, provide videos and screenshots, and keep following up, only to have it dismissed as "Will not fix".)

Let me ask you something. In SCALE, if you go to your view the list of your SMB Shares, is there a toggle to enable/disable each individual share? Or do you have to "Edit" a specific share to uncheck its "Enabled" checkbox?

probain

Patron
Let me ask you something. In SCALE, if you go to your view the list of your SMB Shares, is there a toggle to enable/disable each individual share? Or do you have to "Edit" a specific share to uncheck its "Enabled" checkbox?
1699197027098.png

I feel so left behind on Core. I really hope this "UI overhaul" comes to Core someday... :frown:

Sigh...

probain

Patron
More easy examples

Chrome 100% zoom
1699199793247.png

Chrome 90%
1699199822791.png