Subsonic: character problem with filenames

Status
Not open for further replies.

milesdavis

Dabbler
Hi folks,
I installed successfully subsonic and I just have one big problem:

I have songs with umlauts, or vowels (or how do you wanna call it) and stuff like:

ä, ö, ü, ß and Ä, Ö, Ü

the typical (regional) "german" letters.

But in subsonic, songs that contain such a letter are shown as a folder and are clickable.

On the subsonic forum I found sth where somebody describes how to fix this problem but they refer to the desktop version or sth else.

Here's the link:
http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2884)

The problem is exactly mine.

As far as I understand I just have to switch the regional settings..... but where and how?

Can someone help me?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I experimented with setting export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 in /usr/pbi/subsonic-amd64/etc/subsonic/config.ini and it still doesn't recognize the non-standard characters. If you can figure out a way to fix this I can try integrating it into the plugin.

milesdavis

Dabbler
I also looked for a config file or sth similar...
Maybe this gives you a hint where to look....

xlocale.JPG

In the previous link
http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4063#p14297

this user talks about a path
/etc/init.d/subsonic
but I cannot find that.

UPDATE:

I found another file and there I found these parts:
:charset=KOI8-R: :lang=ru_RU.KOI8-R:
login.conf.jpg

(opened it with notepad and searched for "lang")

SinDeus

Explorer
I have the same exact problem, with French accents though ;)
I tried to set UTF-8 in some config files (can't remember which ones, it was a while ago), but with no success... Anyway, looking forward to finding a solution!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
/etc/init.d/subsonic in our case is /usr/pbi/subsonic-amd64/etc/rc.d/subsonic. This is just the script that starts subsonic. Basically they are setting something during startup of the program.

The directories you should be looking in are '/usr/pbi/subsonic-amd64/etc/subsonic' and '/usr/pbi/subsonic-amd64/share/subsonic'

raidflex

Guru
Try using Madsonic, it will pull the song info from the ID tags, instead of the file name.

Liriel

Dabbler
Try using Madsonic, it will pull the song info from the ID tags, instead of the file name.

Madsonic has the same problem. Artists with accented characters in their name are not included at all and tracks with accented characters do not work properly as described above.

I have tried:
1. changing language settings to en_US.utf-8 and confirmed the changes with the locale command, both in the jail and at the regular sys command prompt.
2. adding the following to the jail's etc/rc.d/subsonic file
Code:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

3. adding the following to the command_args line in the jail's etc/rc.d/subsonic file
Code:
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

None of the above changes anything. Other ideas?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Madsonic has the same problem. Artists with accented characters in their name are not included at all and tracks with accented characters do not work properly as described above.

I have tried:
1. changing language settings to en_US.utf-8 and confirmed the changes with the locale command, both in the jail and at the regular sys command prompt.
2. adding the following to the jail's etc/rc.d/subsonic file
Code:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

3. adding the following to the command_args line in the jail's etc/rc.d/subsonic file
Code:
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

None of the above changes anything. Other ideas?
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-...edia/plexmediaserver/files/plexmediaserver.in if you look there plex changes some environmental variables before starting. can you play around with running a pre-routine. If you can get it working I can make the changes in the plugin for everyone to enjoy.

SinDeus

Explorer
I'm following this thread; this issue looks near to its conclusion.

Liriel

Dabbler
ok, thanks to the tip from Joshua I now have it working.

I simply added the following code to the beginning of the etc/rc.d/subsonic script and stopped/started the plugin:
Code:
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

Prior to this I had also updated my systemwide language settings (there are several posts in these forums describing how to do this) and deleted my existing music share. I re-added the music share from a new mount point after making changes to the subsonic script. It is not clear if these two steps were necessary in the end, but if editing the script alone does not work, I suggest you try either or both of these.

As far as a more permanent fix for the subsonic plugin, not everyone will want subsonic to run using English language settings. Perhaps the solution is to add a parameter to to config.ini that allows specification of language.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
thanks I'll post a new pbi in the future where a user can set their own UTF-8 location. my goal is to get this baked in before the subsonic 5.0 release.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
can someone link me a test file. I tried renaming files but setting lang/lc_all doesn't seem to understand them.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just sent you a test file via private conversation..
Thanks, think I got everything working. I'll post a PBI once I got it built.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Liriel

Dabbler
Thank you Joshua! I am away from home until Tuesday and only have cli access to my Freenas box. Since I don't know how to update plugins from cli, I will try this out Tuesday when I get back home.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't think you can use the update feature with pbi not coming from the repo. I recommend people who had issues upload this pbi, freenas will install a new instance of subsonic. then people can make sure this instance recognizes their files from different languages correctly.

Liriel

Dabbler
Ok. I got impatient and setup an ssh tunnel so I could access the FreeNAS gui while away.

The new plugin works perfectly Joshua. I can see and play all my tracks, including ones with accented and other non-standard characters.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Ok. I got impatient and setup an ssh tunnel so I could access the FreeNAS gui while away.

The new plugin works perfectly Joshua. I can see and play all my tracks, including ones with accented and other non-standard characters.

Thanks again for your efforts!
Awesome! thanks for helping figure out the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.