Strange ZFS boot issue with new TrueNAS build

William Katsak

Dabbler
Hello,

I am a (very) long-time FreeNAS/TrueNAS user. I've had a custom-built box running without almost zero hiccups since around 2015 on a Supermicro A1SAi-2750f board.

I recently started having drive failures, so I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade. The new configuration is as follows:

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F (all firmware updated to latest)
CPU: Xeon D-1521 (4C/8T)
RAM: 64 GB ECC
Host Adapter: LSI 9211-8i (running in IT mode, latest firmware, reused from the old setup)
Drives: 4x 8TB WD Red CMR + 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD (intended for SLOG)
Boot Volume: Micron 3400 NVMe SSD in the motherboard M.2 slot

- All of the HDDs and SSDs are connected to the LSI controller.

I installed TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U5.1 from USB, which went as a typical TrueNAS install should. I installed it in EFI mode and allowed the installer to create swap. Before installation, the BIOS was reloaded to defaults, was switched to EFI mode for all OPROMs and CSM was disabled. The NVMe device was brand new before this install.

Now comes the issue: on reboot, the bootloader starts from the NVMe volume, but crashes loading the kernel with error:

Code:
zio_read error: 5
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable

If I retry boot from the console, the same happens. The bootloader sees the device as well as the zfs boot volume.
Code:
ls
will show the kernel file. If I reboot to the installer USB and drop to shell, I can import the boot pool and scrub it with no issue.

I've tried several permutations of the boot config in the BIOS (with/without CSM, fiddled with OPROM settings), but there is no change in behavior.

I'm currently thinking either a bug in the bootloader's NVMe driver, or an incompatibility between my boot device (motherboard?) and the driver. I do have another of the exact same board running PFsense (FreeBSD 12.3-STABLE) from an NVMe device and there was no issue bringing that up.

I'm going to try a regular FreeBSD load and see if it boots, and will see if I can swap for another NVMe device, but other than that, I am not sure how to proceed. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Bill