SOLVED Strange copy failure over SMB, folder name mangled, files missing

seanm

Guru
Hi all,

Yesterday I mounted my FreeNAS 11.2-U7 Samba share from a Mac, and on the Mac used sudo cp -a to copy 1.8 TB of stuff over. I got an error I've never seen before:

cp: /Volumes/MyMountedShare/./some/folder/AUX.2016.03.09/File1: No such file or directory ... ... one for each file in that folder ... cp: utimes: /Volumes/MyMountedShare/./some/folder/AUX.2016.03.09: No such file or directory cp: chown: /Volumes/MyMountedShare/./some/folder/AUX.2016.03.09: No such file or directory cp: chmod: /Volumes/MyMountedShare/./some/folder/AUX.2016.03.09: No such file or directory cp: chflags: /Volumes/MyMountedShare/./some/folder/AUX.2016.03.09: No such file or directory cp: /Volumes/LocalMacDisk/./some/folder/AUX.2016.03.09: unable to copy ACL to /Volumes/MyMountedShare/./some/folder/AUX.2016.03.09: No such file or directory

If I ssh to the FreeNAS, I actually see that folder, though it's only got 1 file in it instead of 61.

drwxrwx---+ 2 sean MyGroup uarch 3 Nov 23 03:27 AUX.2016.03.09/

But disturbingly, if I mount the share I see the folder name mangled as "AG7JL4~7.09", and if I try to navigate into it, it just vanishes!

What the heck has happened here?

@anodos if you read this, and want logs, I can send them privately.

Thanks.

Attachments

• MangledFolderName.png
    MangledFolderName.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 223

Alecmascot

Guru
search the forum for "mac filenames" and have a read.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The colon ":" at the end of the file name is an illegal character. Samba should be converting it to an 8x3 name. If you can reliably reproduce the issue, file a bug ticket with the repro case and a debug.

seanm

Guru
There's no colon in the name. I think the error message just adds that colon to show there's a message next. Also "AUX.2016.03.09" is folder which is why ls is adding a /.

I've unmounted the share and remounted it, and the vanishing upon opening the folder didn't reoccur. But the name is still being mangled whereas ls shows it correctly.

I'll file a ticket so you can look at logs...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Upload a debug.... and you have a directory with a space at the end of its name. That is invalid and triggering name mangling.

Last edited:

seanm

Guru
So for anyone interested, we found the root issue here, and it's described by this sentence in the samba docs about name mangling:

"This algorithm can cause name collisions only if files in a directory share the same first five alphanumeric characters. The probability of such a clash is 1/1300."

Well, my source folder had two files named "136563" and "136565", and that caused a collision. The solution is to set the samba option "mangled names = no".