Storage Upgrade using an HBA, please confirm choice.

CTMS

Cadet
Hi Forum,

my current setup is becoming too small, so I'm looking for an Upgrade.
The entire topic of server-grade Hardware is new to me. I tried reading into guides on this forum, watching Videos on YouTube ("Art Of Server" is really great), but it's a huge investment and I don't want to make a mistake buying the wrong Hardware.
From what I've learned, I selected the Hardware I think I'd need to make this happen, but I'm not sure and would gladly take any advice or input on things I might have overlooked or got wrong.

What for?
I need about 40TB of usable Storage (Raid Z2) and I use the system to store backups. I don't use it as a streaming server. Backup only, but I need to access some files here and there.

Current Hardware to work with:
Asus B150M-K D3
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4400 @ 3.30GHz
16GB Memory
1x Samsung 860Pro

Hardware to buy:
LSI SAS2008-8I SATA 9211-8i 6Gbps 8 Ports HBA PCI-E RAID Controller Card flashed to IT-Mode
2x SFF8087 breakout-cables with either SAS or SATA on the other end (depending on what HDDs I'll get)
7x 8TB or 6x 10TB CMR drives

Is there anything I might have overlooked? Are there better choices? Anything worth mentioning for a beginner?

Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
Better Choices
Memory:
ECC Memory
You are low on memory, but as a backup server that probably not an issue
HBA is fine for HDD's
HDD's - you don't say what type. Avoid SMR drives like the plague. Make sure any drive you get is CMR
Motherboard and CPU
Those are not server class hardware and you have only one PCIe slot (of any use)- presumably for the HBA, so no chance of 10Gb.
ALSO be very aware that TrueNAS may not support the onboard NIC (I haven't looked it up). Some boards use strange NIC's or crappy makes.

Having checked:
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 mode, gray) - useful
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1 - neither are much use.

Realtek® RTL8111H, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s) - No, Just no. Noway - do not even attempt to use this NIC

Note - you might be able to find a supported NIC to plug into one of the PCIe3 X1 slots - but I am not hopeful. You might fit a card in and run it at less lanes than it likes - but it may require a dremel

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
So ECC would require a board that supports that. That and IPMI are great for hands off worry free ZFS. Not required but damn nice. Take a look at Resources, there are some ideas for inexpensive supermicro based builds.

Is this hardware you are planning to buy, or hardware you have?

CTMS

Cadet
Memory:
ECC Memory
When I first setup my FreeNAS Server, I read a lot about that and the conclusion was it is not needed.
I'll take a look into this topic again, seems consensus has changed, or I was wrong in the first place.

HBA is fine for HDD's
HDD's - you don't say what type. Avoid SMR drives like the plague. Make sure any drive you get is CMR
Yes, that I forgot to mention. I know about the whole SMR thing and followed the WD-incident.

Motherboard and CPU
Those are not server class hardware and you have only one PCIe slot (of any use)- presumably for the HBA, so no chance of 10Gb.
That's what I got currently. You strongly suggest getting server-class Hardware?

[...] no chance of 10Gb.
What do you mean by that?

Realtek® RTL8111H, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s) - No, Just no. Noway - do not even attempt to use this NIC
It runs fine on 11.3 FreeNAS (haven't upgraded yet, system was offline anyways).

So what I take away is: My choice of new Hardware is acceptable, but you don't recommend "salvaging" what I got (Mainboard, CPU, Memory).

CTMS

Cadet
So ECC would require a board that supports that. That and IPMI are great for hands off worry free ZFS. Not required but damn nice. Take a look at Resources, there are some ideas for inexpensive supermicro based builds.

Is this hardware you are planning to buy, or hardware you have?
I will read into IPMI. That is new to me. thank you.

The Board, Memory and CPU are from my current FreeNAS build. I had someone else selecting these parts for me for a beginner build.

"Hardware to buy:" lists the things I would buy for the mentioned upgrade.

If you all suggest to get a completely new system with proper server Hardware instead of "salvaging" Board, Memory and CPU, then I'll check the Hardware-Guide again and come up with a new list.

NugentS

MVP
IPMI is well worth it IMHO and you will need server class hardware for it.
The problem with the CPU and board are simple. Lack of ECC, Lack of upgrade potential. If for instance you get problems with the realtek (shudder) then you can't do anything about it. TrueNAS is a business grade product designed for that grade of hardware. You can run it on lesser stuff, but your mileage may vary.

If you insist on using consumer grade stuff then:
Whatever board you use make sure it has more (longer) PCIe slots so you can add (for example) a better network card when the realtek starts (if it does) to cause issues. You are right ECC is optional, but recommended. Or get a board with an Intel NIC on board - but not one of the obscure ones that have limited support. You can presumably run on the existing hardware CPU and board - just be aware of its limitations.