Storage for MS Hyper-V VM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraKez

Cadet
Hi,

Firstly, if I ask a question that is already well documented, I am sorry, and please tell me to go look there.
There seems to be a lot of information about VMware, but not much on MS Hyper-V (which is where our servers are at the moment)

And whenever I mention Hyper-V in my search, I get a heap about trying to virtualize FreeNAS, which I do NOT want to do.

I want to connect our MS Hyper-V systems to FreeNAS to open up two options a) data snapshots and b) replication to a 2nd FreeNAS box.

These are business systems so I will be using:
1. ECC RAM,
2. mirrored SLOG
3. will have sync=always
4. Unsure if I will use RaidZ2 or Striped Mirrors yet
5. May have to go to 10Gb NICs

What I am unsure about is how I will make the FreeNAS storage visible to the Hyper-V machines.
My knee jerk reaction was to use iSCSI, but I could also use SMB, and with my Centos OS maybe use NFS

Main objective:
At the moment the servers are virtualized (MS Windows Server & Centos) but they are each locked into a specific box with direct storage on Intel RAID Controllers in the same box.
Daily backups get pushed off site, but a restore could be a long process, this is why I would like to keep the current backup process, but also have snapshots and replication via FreeNAS.

My main focus will be on the Centos machine which runs a small (but important) MySQL Database, and also has 5Tb of data files.
So
I could link via iSCSI to the Hyper-V host and make the drive look locally mounted to the Centos VM
or
I could link via iSCSI directly to the Centos VM (but I read the iSCSI would run better off the host)
or
I could skip iSCSI and have the Centos VM map up to an NFS share on FreeNAS

Any advice on which way I should focus would be very much appreciated.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I seem to recall that there was some issue with MS Hyper-V wanting certain iSCSI features that FreeNAS lacked, but I think that was before the kernel iSCSI was introduced. I'm not sure of the status of all that right now.

You can absolutely use iSCSI or NFS directly from a guest on the hypervisor. However, if you can stick with NFS and file-based storage, that can be a win sometimes. See https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...res-more-resources-for-the-same-result.28178/

GraKez

Cadet
Apparently the guest VM cannot enjoy all of the hardware feature offered to the host (iSCSI) but you cannot believe everything that you read.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, the problem was something to do with CSV and locking, IIRC.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
From my experience with TrueNAS support, CIFS/SMB is the tried-and-true way to go for Hyper-V. It "just works" properly with Hyper-V. Very few people use Hyper-V, but all agree that CIFS was the way to go. I don't remember if there was something stopping them from using something else, if they thought CIFS was easier, or if there was a performance reason.

Nick Howard

Contributor
I've got a 4TB iSCSI file extent to my Hyper-v host and currently have 3 VHDX VM's on there. I've experienced no issue's doing this although I'm unsure if it's recommended.

Mlovelace

Guru
Hyper-V (shudder)... SMB (CIFS) is the preferred storage method, however freeNAS does not have the multi-threaded version of samba (yet), so you would be better off using iSCSI with MPIO on the host.

Status
Not open for further replies.