Storage build advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaror

Contributor
Hi All,
Following is first storage build draft let me know about your reservation ,thanks

Disk's Seagate 6TB new series we can reach high capacity with very fair performance low space consuming
  • ST6000NM0004 x 12 we can reach 72RAW TB and around 60TB net after raid 6 style, up to 114TB net 60TB =450~500$ x 12 =6000$ or 40TB with Seagate ST4000NM0044 4TB x12 = 3850$
http://www.seagate.com/em/en/intern...-hard-drives/hdd/enterprise-capacity-3-5-hdd/
  • Cache disk 3x 240GB SanDisk Extreme PRO 240GB 450$
  • SuperChassis 846BE1C-R1K28B 24x 3.5" hot-swap SAS/SATA drive bays supporting SAS3/2 or SATA3 HDDs with 12Gbps throughput / Redundant 1280W Platinum Level power supply estimate 1200$
  • Motherboard ASROCK EPC602D8A Or option II Motherboard X9SRLestimate 271$
  • CPU Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2407 v2 (10M Cache, 2.40 GHz) estimate 240$
  • 64GB Memory KVR16LR11D4/16HAfor Asrock estimate 600$ Or Memoy for Supermicro 600$
  • 10G sfp+ network X 2 Intel
  • Disk controller Adaptec 71605Qestimate 980$ Or Lsi 9260-16i
Total price estimate : 6TB disks option 9751$ / 4TB disks option 7651$
Thanks

marbus90

Guru
- a single 12disk raidz2 vdev isn't recommended, either 2x 6disk z2 for performance or 11disk z3 for enhanced reliability
- cache SSDs for what?
- this is an expander chassis requiring a SAS 12Gbps HBA if you want Supermicros support
- definitely Supermicro, however I'd pick the X10SRL-F with socket 2011-3
- the CPU wouldn't fit in any of your mobos, go with an E5-1620 v3 fir the X10SRL-F
- any memory from supermicros tested memory list for the respective mobo level
- X520-T2 is the first component I can sign off without further warnings
- LSI only. 9300-8i for that specific Supermicro chassis.

If you don't want to hassle around with picking up the individual chassis, mobo, controller, cables, heatsinks etc go for this barebone:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/2U/5028/SSG-5028R-E1CR12L.cfm
just drop in the E5-1620 v3, DIMMs, disks and NIC, done.

Nindustries

Patron
First of all, I have some questions about your intended purpose..

1. Your profile says you are head of IT. You do realise you are posting on a community forum?
2. You didn't even pick a CPU that fits that motherboard.
3. You need more memory if this is for production use.
4. "Cache disks"? Do you have any valid reason why you would say anything like that? In ZFS, it's SLOGs or L2ARC when using SSDs.
5. So you are basing an expensive setup for COMPANY USE on online reviews? nice.
6. What are your requirements regarding storage and IOPS?

Either way, it sounds like you don't know what you're doing or you are horribly misinformed about hardware/this setup.
I suggest choosing for premium support (like TrueNAS) for a company or at least understand what you're doing.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm gonna say that this seems REALLY ill-conceived.

-CPU doesn't match the motherboard socket (this is a red flag that serious mistakes are likely ensuing as this is the one that is a free-bee for anyone building a computer).
-No clue what the Sandisk 240GB SSDs are for, but if you are going with RAIDZ2, then you are conflicting with yourself. Either you need the L2ARCs (and you shouldn't be running RAIDZ2) or you don't need the L2ARCs (and you shouldn't be buying them anyway). If any are for the slog device, then the same philosophy applies. You have WAAAAY to much SSD storage for L2ARC anyway, so you're either failing, failing, or failing.
-The fact that you even mentioned an Adaptec despite my warnings on the hardware recommendation thread tell me you either are ignoring our advice, you haven't done enough research, or both.

The fact that such serious and gross mistakes were made, I don't really want to know what other things you are likely to do wrong (or are going to do wrong). I get the impression you aren't adequately experienced and/or knowledgable to take on the project you are trying to get involved in.

Overall, I'd totally give up on the whole idea of going FreeNAS if your detailed research lead you to the list you posted. Call iXsystems and buy a "FreeNAS certified" system or a TrueNAS system. They'll ask you questions and sell you a server that *will* do what you want, uses compatible hardware, and will be reliable for years to come. TrueNAS is great because if it breaks you call iXsystems and make it their problem.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. When you start building high-end servers like what FreeNAS is the reality is harsh. You do it right or you have major problems all over the place (and often lost data). There's little room for advice to be ignored and still have a viable server.

Good luck!

tbaror

Contributor
First of all, I have some questions about your intended purpose..

1. Your profile says you are head of IT. You do realise you are posting on a community forum?
Yes i am , but whats the point should be ashamed to ask , nobody knows everything
2. You didn't even pick a CPU that fits that motherboard.
Thanks for that i guess i missed that
3. You need more memory if this is for production use.
Its going to be production storage for small branch we have and limited with budget ,so how much memory you suggest
4. "Cache disks"? Do you have any valid reason why you would say anything like that? In ZFS, it's SLOGs or L2ARC when using SSDs.
Yes i meant ZFS L2ARC and ZILL but no need for two or at all
5. So you are basing an expensive setup for COMPANY USE on online reviews? nice.
Yes :smile:, i am a big fun of DIY ,again this is draft as i mention , i am pretty veteran in this forum , many times i had and read many helpful professional advice , for building other storage's in the past ,which went well
6. What are your requirements regarding storage and IOPS?
It will used for video testing uncompressed 4k video ingests i assume 7 concurrent , and usual file (doc)sharing

Either way, it sounds like you don't know what you're doing or you are horribly misinformed about hardware/this setup.
I suggest choosing for premium support (like TrueNAS) for a company or at least understand what you're doing.
Again this is what this forum is about, for consulting for right hardware , i didn't bought the hardware yet , i don't need to be a shamed for presenting wrong hardware because of my title .
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.