Still Having Jail problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Onion

Dabbler
Rather than bump my old topic, (which is almost 18 months old) I thought I'd start over.

Background:- Being a total NOOB I installed the jail on the wrong drive. I have tried all manner of suggestions to move it to the drive I want, with no success.

Problem:- I want to install PLEX but as the jail in on the drive I want to share PLEX won't find my media. I have no plugins installed at all (ie the jail is empty)

UPDATE:- Finally today I managed to move it using the relevant SHELL commands (or so I thought) Everything seemed to work correctly. The new jail appeared on the correct drive, I deleted the old jail and re installed PLEX ...

... which recreated the old jail.

How can I get this to work for me? Is the jail located by drive name or drive letter? (eg will swapping the drives SATA port help or not) How would it be if I deleted the data on the drive containing the jail, removed the drive, and created a new jail and then replace the drive and data? (I have Acronis backups of everything so nothing will be lost)

Do I need to reinstall FREENAS and start over?

In other words HELP!! ;)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is this the only jail/plugin you have installed?

Mr Onion

Dabbler
Its the only one I have attempted to install, although it is not there right now. Although the jail directory does not now exist, the Jail Root still shows .

screenshot_74.jpg screenshot_75.jpg

Mr Onion

Dabbler
As this seems to be a dead end, I have another idea.

I have 4 drives connected to the motherboard thus:-

SATA1:- FREENAS OS
SATA2:- Music Storage
SATA3:- Acronis Backups
SATA4:- Data

The jail root is on the Music Storage on SATA2. No matter what I try I can not change the root, so can I swap the Hard Drives around?

If I physically swap Music and Data around so that Music is on SATA4 and Data is on SATA2 will FREENAS still expect the jail to be at the SATA2 port?

OK I know the answer is likely to be 'try it and see what happens' but I would rather ask than cock it up (again)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It doesn't matter what ports you hook your drives to FreeNAS will still recognize them as they are.

So if you hit the browse button to select the dataset where you want your jail root to be you can't select a different dataset? If so that's a bug and you should file a bug report.

Mr Onion

Dabbler
I thought that might be the case, which is why I asked.

I can browse for a new jail root

screenshot_92.jpg

but the configuration will not 'stick' and goes back to where it was previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.