Startup fails every other startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64.
Freenas is running from a USB3 SSD.
I am seeing a repeatable behavior that if I shutdown/restart Freenas, it fails to start, but only every *other* restart. It locks up the console and no keyboard input seems to be active. If I power cycle, then, another time, it starts up fine. Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior? Any ideas about what I can check to see what the failure is?

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
Yes it is a known USB 3 problem. Disable xhci in bios and it goes away. There are probably 2 places it needs to be turned off.

Thanks, Michael. It's good to know at least that it is a known problem. I don't see anywhere in my BIOS that I can turn it off, so at least I can hope that it may (or may not) be fixed in some future version unless it is inherently a USB3 thing and not a FreeNAS thing. Appreciate the info.

Dusan

Guru
I don't think this is USB3 related. When your USB3 controller is not compatible with the xhci driver then FreeNAS doesn't boot at all. As I understand it in your case it sometimes boots, sometimes not.
Does it hang also on cold boots or only during reboots? If it happens only on reboots try adding a hw.usb.no_shutdown_wait=1 sysctl (Sysctem->Sysctls).

It really isn't a random thing, it seems to be an exactly every other power cycle thing. System board is MSI H87-G43, I don't see any settings in the bios that would allow me to turn off xhci. When it fails it locks up hard and requires a power off and power on and then it boots up properly.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some Haswell chips don't work well with FreeBSD yet. They cause problems after a reboot forcing you to do a cold boot every time. It could also be something on your motherboard. Next time consider reading the stickies and buying one of the recommended Supermicro boards to avoid problems.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
The Supermicros have this same problem if xhci is enabled. But it is a haswell issue.

But isn't the h87 board a non-ecc board?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Pretty sure it is, but I'm done trying to warn people.. you can only lead a horse to water.

Michael Wulff Nielsen

Contributor
It isn't. @Steve: your motherboard is not really suitable for a Freenas due to missing ecc support. Check out the hardware thread for some good suggestions.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, I meant "it is" as in it's a non-ecc board. :O

Thanks for the information. But I'm guessing it is a software issue, I upgraded to FreeNAS 9.2.0 and the problem seems to have gone away. No other changes were made to the BIOS settings (xhci isn't something I can turn on or off). I'll keep an eye on it, but it appears to start up reliably every time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.