UI/SMB hanging after update

Hi all,

Been using Freenas for years and it's always been rock solid. Updated to 11.3 last week, added some new plugins and I've clearly broken something in the process. It was stable for a few days, but now I'm seeing the following every 12-24 hours:
  • No response web UI
  • No response over SMB
  • Console (actual plugged in keyboard video) shows messages, and will bring up the console "menu" - but seems to hang before it lists the web ui URL. After which it becomes unresponsive.
  • No response over SSH
  • Plugins still working (e.g. I can watch content via Plex, and seed via qbt etc.) so the underlying filesystem and OS is clearly still running.
I can't see anything in var/log/messages that would point to issues, other than one of my pool drives has some bad sectors. But it's been that way for months, so not sure why everything has gone unresponsive.

Triggering a shutdown from the power button starts to stop a few PIDs... then also hangs. Only solution I've found is a hard power off (which I'm not keen on doing!!)

Not really sure where to look next to be honest - anyone any ideas?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Try rebooting back into your old boot environment, deleting the 11.3 boot environment, and redoing the upgrade.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi all,

Been using Freenas for years and it's always been rock solid. Updated to 11.3 last week, added some new plugins and I've clearly broken something in the process. It was stable for a few days, but now I'm seeing the following every 12-24 hours:
  • No response web UI
  • No response over SMB
  • Console (actual plugged in keyboard video) shows messages, and will bring up the console "menu" - but seems to hang before it lists the web ui URL. After which it becomes unresponsive.
  • No response over SSH
  • Plugins still working (e.g. I can watch content via Plex, and seed via qbt etc.) so the underlying filesystem and OS is clearly still running.
I can't see anything in var/log/messages that would point to issues, other than one of my pool drives has some bad sectors. But it's been that way for months, so not sure why everything has gone unresponsive.

Triggering a shutdown from the power button starts to stop a few PIDs... then also hangs. Only solution I've found is a hard power off (which I'm not keen on doing!!)

Not really sure where to look next to be honest - anyone any ideas?
Possibly issue caused by plugins. Turn them all off, let the server sit for 24 hours and see if UI / SMB break. If they don't turn them back on one-by-one until you've isolated the problem child.