Starting Jail: (Hang on boot) after RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristankin

Cadet
Hi

I have just started with my first FreeNAS box and successfully set up the plugin system using the Jail with AMD64 8.2.0 BETA3. This was serving transmission and miniDLNA after a bit of work and fixing of permissions. Today I added another 4GB of ram taking the system up to 8GB ready for use with a large raid-z.
After installing the memory the Jails will no longer start, either at boot or manually. The jails are set up on a single disk zfs volume.

The specs for this machine are:
AMD e350
8GB DDR3
4 sata disks attached

I have tried reinstalling the jail from scratch (including new zfs datasets) but the system still hangs at the same point.
I have the last lines of dmesg.today from the jail and I cant find any errors in the logs for the main system.

Jail dmesg.today as follows

da2: 320.000MB/s transfers (160.000MHz DT, offset 127, 16bit)
da2: Command Queueing enabled
da2: 8192MB (16777216 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1044C)
da3 at mpt0 bus 0 scbus0 target 3 lun 0
da3: <VMware Virtual disk 1.0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da3: 320.000MB/s transfers (160.000MHz DT, offset 127, 16bit)
da3: Command Queueing enabled
da3: 122880MB (251658240 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 15665C)
SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
GEOM: da1: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: da1: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
GEOM: ufsid/4ec53f1d5ead0805: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: ufsid/4ec53f1d5ead0805: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
GEOM: da1: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: da1: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
GEOM: ufsid/4ec53f1d5ead0805: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: ufsid/4ec53f1d5ead0805: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
VMware memory control driver initialized
WARNING: TMPFS is considered to be a highly experimental feature in FreeBSD.
pid 32879 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 48374 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 51708 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 51810 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 3672 (try), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)
WARNING: TMPFS is considered to be a highly experimental feature in FreeBSD.
pid 96335 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 11970 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 15304 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 15406 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 84603 (try), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)
pid 51488 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

I was hoping someone could give me an idea of how a ram upgrade could stop the jails from working.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Can you try with the old ram and see if it still works? Also can you blow this Jail away (backup any needed stuff) and start a fresh one?

tristankin

Cadet
I have reinstalled the plugin system a few times with no luck and performed a memtest on the ram. I will try reducing the ram tonight

paleoN

Wizard
Or something is wrong with the ram. I've run the jail just fine with 8GB of ram.

Did you happen to change any of the memory tunings or anything when you went to 8GB?

tristankin

Cadet
Didn't change anything. Did I have to? I thought it would just accept the change to the system configuration.

I ran a mamtest86+ on the ram, absolutely nothing wrong.

The only thing that changed on the system was the amount of ram installed.

paleoN

Wizard
Didn't change anything. Did I have to? I thought it would just accept the change to the system configuration.
I would delete the autotune values under Tunables and rerun it. But perhaps it updates those on a reboot and I'm just too impatient?

My concern was you had adjusted them yourself and set it too high. You didn't.

I ran a mamtest86+ on the ram, absolutely nothing wrong.

The only thing that changed on the system was the amount of ram installed.
While memtest86+ is great I don't necessarily think it's full proof. Also, you should usually leave memtest to run overnight. Though if it makes it through a single pass without errors the memory is usually good. What's the rated speed of your memory modules and what speed are you running them at?

You could try it again this time putting the new stick in the original slot and moving the original stick to the other slot.

tristankin

Cadet
The old ram stick was one i stole from work while I was waiting for my ram sticks to turn up. So the system works with 4GB of new and old ram. But not 8GB

Memtest went for around 5 hours with 8GB, I could leave it overnight but I find it strange that it only effects the jail and not the base OS.

I dont have any autotune values set up. The install is pretty standard. I think I will do a reinstall tonight and see if it fixes the problem.

Are there any other log files that I can provide that would make this easier?

tristankin

Cadet
There is something I have noticed on the Plugin documentation page. It says wait for BETA4 plugins as BETA3 does not work. Can anyone confirm what the problem is with the BETA3 plugins?

tristankin

Cadet
I seem to have nutted it out. I formatted the zfs volume and removed the mount points and that seems to have fixed it.

Re-installed the plugins from scratch and they boot fine. Really weird that it would work with those mount points on 4gb of ram but not 8gb. Thanks for the help guys and I hope this may be use to someone in development or other users.

There seems to be something fishy going on with the mount points.

paleoN

Wizard
There is something I have noticed on the Plugin documentation page. It says wait for BETA4 plugins as BETA3 does not work. Can anyone confirm what the problem is with the BETA3 plugins?
Mainly multicasting into a FreeBSD jail. Plus there's a bug with Transmissions download dir & some permissions need to be changed some for some of the plugins as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.