Stability after a crash - USF or ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

konkon

Dabbler
Which is the most stable drive format for single volume drives?

I'm rebuilding after a hardware crash. I've had an awful time with FreeNAS 8 trying to make it read my FreeNAS 0.7 drives - and have given up - I can easily read them from Windows with UFS explorer. Seeing I'm going to start form scratch, I might as well wait for 8.2 but I now need to decide, UFS or ZFS - I never ever want to go through all this again.

So which is more resilient to power shut down's or crashes? UFS or ZFS? (At least FreeNAS 0.7 seemed to handle many power outages).

The issue with UFS FreeNAS 8 seems to be if you get a cold or hard shutdown the drives get messed up - or 'dirty' according to these forums. There seem to be a lot of people with issues importing UFS or after a crash. While everyone hates NTFS at least it lives through all the Windows crashes :)

The only reason I use freeNAS is the power saving of having non-used drives staying asleep. Has anyone tried NASlite?

Thanks in advance.

louisk

Patron
ZFS is more resilient for power failure. I've had zero problems recovering from power failure with ZFS.

konkon

Dabbler
Is FreeNAS ZFS the same as Sun ZFS?

Thanks, I've bought a program called UFS explorer and it works great on Windows to read UFS drives that my FreeNAS 8 couldn't read. Lifesaver...

http://www.uf***plorer.com/download_std.php

They also do a data recovery version which is more expensive, but I didn't need it.

It says it can also read Sun ZFS, so is Sun ZFS the same as FreeNAS ZFS? I assume so but my assumptions have not proven to be reliable thus far with FreeNAS :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.