ZFS in a low memory setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanh

Cadet
I'm relatively new to FreeNAS, though I did have some success running it with a UFS setup for a few months. I only use my box as a Time Machine backup server for two Macs. The box is a converted HP ex490 WHS and is memory limited (1 slot of DDR2, currently 2 GB, could max it out at 4 GB). The motherboard and case are proprietary so I can't upgrade them without replacing the entire setup.

With the UFS setup and 3 drives (2x1TB,1x2TB), I ran into a significant limitation. Both of the time machine sparsebundles kept growing. Last month the volume became full and both of the macs started failing their backups consistently. I couldn't figure out how to retroactively reduce and limit the size of the Time Machine sparsebundles. I was making do with external drive backups for the time being.

With ZFS, it appears that I can create datasets with limited quotas that do exactly what I want. However, I'm well short of the RAM that is recommended for ZFS. I'm not overly concerned about overall performance. In the low-memory setup, am I risking my data or just limiting my throughput? Both of the machines were able to run a backup successfully overnight, and I was able to start Time Machine on at least one of the macs?

If I'm actually risking data, I think my other choice would be to add a drive and create two mirrored setups, or maybe setup a new UFS share and modify the sparsebundles to limit their size and start anew.

Any suggestions? If it comes down to needing new hardware, I might just buy an off-the-shelf NAS, though I'd prefer to not spend that kind of money. The only other old hardware I have lying around are laptops which are even less upgradable than my WHS.

louisk

Patron
The memory issues are not just performance but also stability. If you run less than 4G, you will run the risk of frequent crashes. If you know what you're doing, it's possible you might be able to do enough tuning to get things to run, but there is a reason that they have a 4G recommendation for ZFS usage.

If you want to use ZFS, I would strongly suggest you buy the 4G stick. This will also limit you on the amount of storage (best practice says 1G RAM per 1T of managed storage) but this is typically a performance only issue, so you could probably get away with having a few more T of managed storage than you have RAM.

alanh

Cadet
Thanks Louis. Hmm, looks like the DIMMs I'd need are expensive: $80 or so for a single 4 GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.