SSL Verification Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZodiacUHD

Patron
Hello everyone. I had my FreeNas machine running for a while and even if i'm no expert, i kinda get "everything" running thanks to the forums and this community.

I'm running:
-Sickrage (Plugin page installation)
-Plexrequest (Followed this guide:https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/plex-request-or-similar.42187/)
-Nextcloud (Followed this guide:https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-nextcloud-10-w-apache-php-and-mariadb.46111/)

I'm using a free ddns service and in particular i'm running Nextcloud on blablafreenas.ddns.net, Sickrage on blablafreenas.ddns.net:12345 and Plexrequest on blablafreenas.ddns.net:4321 (ports and domains are made up).

What happens is that after i visit Nextloud with any browser, that browser won't allow me to visit blablafreenas.ddns.net:12345 because (and i'm just guessing here) maybe it saw a different certificate linked with my domain and it blocks any connection.

If i don't visit Nextcloud, the browser would let me visit Sickrage, for example, but it says that my cert is not verified.

I'm quite lost if i have to be honest... Is there any way to setup subdomains for a noob like me? What are the easiest options available to get something like: sickrage.blablafreenas.ddns.net or blablafreenas.ddns.net/sickrage?(any link to a guide here on the forum would be great). I hope my questions are clear and thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm quite lost if i have to be honest... Is there any way to setup subdomains for a noob like me? What are the easiest options available to get something like: sickrage.blablafreenas.ddns.net or blablafreenas.ddns.net/sickrage?(any link to a guide here on the forum would be great). I hope my questions are clear and thanks in advance for any help!
I think you're on the right track with your idea of using the service name as a prefix to 'blablafreenas.ddns.net' to form hostnames. For example:
  • sickrage.blablafreenas.ddns.net
  • nextcloud.blablafreenas.ddns.net
  • plex.blablafreenas.ddns.net
Where all would resolve to the same IP address. The catch has to do with certificates: these are tied to a FQDN ('Fully Qualified Domain Name'). So you would have generate unique certficates for each unique hostname; otherwise browsers will complain about the certificate not being valid.

But to be honest, since you're just accessing different ports for the different services, everything ought to work with a single hostname (blablafreenas.ddns.net) and matching certificate.

ZodiacUHD

Patron
I think you're on the right track with your idea of using the service name as a prefix to 'blablafreenas.ddns.net' to form hostnames. For example:
  • sickrage.blablafreenas.ddns.net
  • nextcloud.blablafreenas.ddns.net
  • plex.blablafreenas.ddns.net
Where all would resolve to the same IP address. The catch has to do with certificates: these are tied to a FQDN ('Fully Qualified Domain Name'). So you would have generate unique certficates for each unique hostname; otherwise browsers will complain about the certificate not being valid.

But to be honest, since you're just accessing different ports for the different services, everything ought to work with a single hostname (blablafreenas.ddns.net) and matching certificate.

Thank you so much. So, if i got it properly, i might as well copy the certificate i have for Nextcloud and use it for both Sickrage and Plexrequest. Is that correct?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thank you so much. So, if i got it properly, i might as well copy the certificate i have for Nextcloud and use it for both Sickrage and Plexrequest. Is that correct?
That's what I would try next. Assuming you've configured all three services to use the same FQDN (blablafreenas.ddns.net).

Full disclosure: I don't use jails, and it may be that you can't use the same certificate for multiple services. If that's the case, I'd try the approach of different hostnames with unique certificates that I mentioned above.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.