SSD/HDDs are "100% free" in Windows - is this normal? (PSU failed, SATA ports busted)

profzelonka

Explorer
My PSU suddenly made my surge protector switch off. Flipped it back on, PC won't start but lights on. I put an old PSU in, PC boots but looks like the SATA ports on the mobo are busted because it only boots into USB and not to SATA at all.

I took the 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs out and attached via USB to another PC, partition manager picks up the device and partitions, says partitions are healthy and the free space is 100%.

This is probably a stupid question.. Is this normal for FreeNAS-formatted SSDs/HDDs? Or are they likely corrupted?
(I have an older mobo except it has no video output so I'd need to buy some cheap old video card in order to get FreeNAS back online to see..)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you have attached a drive from FreeNAS (formatted in ZFS) to a Windows machine (incapable of reading ZFS formatted disks), it may have prompted to to initialize those disks, which if you agreed, will have destroyed the ZFS contents and rendered your disk empty, so in that way, 100% free is correct (100% free of your ZFS data).

That's possibly an unfortunate consequence for you, so commiserations on your loss if that's what happened.

profzelonka

Explorer
When I plugged the HDD and SSD in, nothing happened or showed. I could only see the drive in the windows partitioner tool. I'm guessing ZFS won't show usage amount, so I think I might still be in luck. Won't know until I build a new system tho, just realized my old Mobo only has 4gb DDR2 ram which is below minimum req. lol

Last edited: