SSD Boot Device Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNAS

Dabbler
I am looking for some recommendations here. I have been having difficulty using USB drives as a boot device and as per the recommendation of many admins I am considering using a SSD for my boot drive.

So my main question is would it be ok to use a SSD that I previously had in a Windows machine that held the OS and programs? The SSD in question is about 5 to 6 years old and was used regularly for a couple years then very little for the last 3 or 4.

Thanks

i use 2 used 80Gb intel SSD's i got off ebay for 20-30 bucks each. I dont see why not to use the current SSD, just backup your config and all, or get a second same size SSD and mirror them, thats what i do.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sure. FreeNAS 9.3 doesn't really abuse the boot drive, but some USB devices are so slow that problems might sometimes pop up. Any SATA device should be more than plenty for FreeNAS, assuming it's still in working condition.

DataKeeper

Patron
You should also try to find two of the same drive and mirror them as well as regular Config backups. Better yet find a Lot of 3 or 4 to have on hand spare(s) that have the same capacity.

Personally I really like the Sata DOMs but realize they are on the more pricy end of things.

DarkNAS

Dabbler
Thanks for the info

Are you guys actually running mirrored SSD or SATADOM boot drives?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
*I* personally use SATA DOMS (and one USB) and I don't mirror anything. I also am not in a production environment, so a failure of the boot device just means I must touch the machine to fix it. I've also seen very few SSDs/SATA-DOMs fail, so I don't really feel that mirroring is overly important except when serious money is lost due to downtime.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
*I* personally use SATA DOMS (and one USB) and I don't mirror anything. I also am not in a production environment, so a failure of the boot device just means I must touch the machine to fix it. I've also seen very few SSDs/SATA-DOMs fail, so I don't really feel that mirroring is overly important except when serious money is lost due to downtime.

Same here. I'm running a 16GB SATA DOM and I figure if it fails...meh. I'll grab one of my many USB drives install freenas and restore my config until I can get a replacement.

maglin

Patron
I have a question about mirroring the boot drive. Can you mirror a SATA DOM to a USB drive? That gives you redundancy and cuts down on initial costs a little bit. I ask because I've not see anyone use that configuration so it might not be available.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have a question about mirroring the boot drive. Can you mirror a SATA DOM to a USB drive? That gives you redundancy and cuts down on initial costs a little bit. I ask because I've not see anyone use that configuration so it might not be available.
Theoretically, yes. But you do end up in the same position you'd be in with two USB drives - only with a lighter wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.