SATA SSD for boot

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
thank you all!, so its clear that the WD green SSD are no good for boot.
Since I already have the WD greens, are they good for slog or l2arc? or even as a data volume?
Fine for L2ARC (although your workload may not benefit from it) or as data vdevs, but not as SLOG.

pro lamer

Guru
Fine for L2ARC (although your workload may not benefit from it) or as data vdevs, but not as SLOG.
What way is it possible? Don't they have firmware bug like SanDisks utilizing the same silicon motion controller?
They seem to have a firmware bug in newer versions
Why doesn't the bug make the SSDs useless in FreeBSD at all?

Is it because we can disable TRIM support on regular pools and not on the boot pool? (I wild guess since I don't know if we can disable TRIM on boot pools or not)

Sent from my phone

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It should be possible, at install time.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
What way is it possible? Don't they have firmware bug like SanDisks utilizing the same silicon motion controller?

Why doesn't the bug make the SSDs useless in FreeBSD at all?

Is it because we can disable TRIM support on regular pools and not on the boot pool? (I wild guess since I don't know if we can disable TRIM on boot pools or not)

Sent from my phone

According to a user comment in the bug report, the corruption doesn't seem to manifest itself when the drives are use for L2ARC:

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/35065?next_issue_id=35062&prev_issue_id=35068#note-22

Though you're right, it might be an issue with them as data vdevs.

kilem86

Cadet
Hi All,
What do I look for in a SATA SSD to be used as boot disk in freenas?
I recently built a freenas server using a 120 GB WD green ssd for boot. I got checksum errors and a degraded boot volume almost immediately after initial boot in freenas. I learnt from this forum that some models of ssd have a firmware conflict with freenas. So I was wondering what model/brand of SSD I can use for boot volume in freenas?
I have the same problem, with the same SSD(SSD 120GB WD Green), just install the system, and the boot pool going to degraded state... it,s any posibilities to change the firmware into the SSD?

sretalla