SpiderOak Help? (fix 'certificate verify failed' error and getting SpiderOakONE 7.2.0 working)

rmccullough

Patron
I am running FreeNAS 11.2-beta2

I just tried running through the setup guide here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/spideroak-installation-into-a-jail-freenas-9-2.19868/

However, it seems a bit dated. FreshPorts has the 6.0.1 version of SpiderOak available: https://www.freshports.org/net/spideroak/

I tried to install that following the instructions and it does not seem to be working well:

# SpiderOakONE --setup=-
Login: root
Password:
Logging in...
Traceback (most recent call last):
Failure: OpenSSL.SSL.Error: [('SSL routines', 'SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE', 'certificate verify failed')]
Failure running setup: twisted.python.failure.Failure [('SSL routines', 'SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE', 'certificate verify failed')]
# SpiderOakONE --version
SpiderOakONE v6.0.10128

I have a fair bit of experience with Ubuntu, but am just learning FreeBSD. So I am a bit lost on how to fix some of these issues.

rmccullough

Patron
If anyone else stumbles across this later, I found the issue.

There is a SpiderOak help article titled SSL Certificate Verification Error, that basically says you are expected to have a current version of SpiderOak, otherwise you could receive errors that the SSL certificate cannot be verified.

So, I went through the install guide I mentioned before. Note that you no longer need to modify version numbers in the Makefile or download the SpiderOak software, running 'make install clean' will find that the package is not there and will download it for you. However, it will not be the current release. Right now the current version from FreshPorts is 6.0_1 from 2/19/2018. The current version of SpiderOakONE from SpiderOak is 7.2.0. Also note that there were still commands you had to run as root outside of the jail. I think the one from the guide was kldload linux, I think I also executed kldload linux64 and this fixed some other issues.

Ok, so after getting it setup, I was getting the error above about 'SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE'.

What I did at this point was backup: root@spideroak:~/tmp # tar zcvf SpiderOakONE-6.0.tgz /usr/local/share/spideroak/*

I then went into /usr/local/share/spideroak/ and removed everything recursively.

I then extracted SpiderOakONE-7.2.0-slack_tar_x64.tgz. This produces 3 directories: etc, opt, usr. Under opt/SpiderOakONE/lib/ are the files you want to place in /usr/local/share/spideroak/. I did this running this command: cp -R opt/SpiderOakONE/lib/* /usr/local/share/spideroak/.

I was then able to login and add my server from the Jail:
root@spideroak:~ # SpiderOakONE --setup=-
Login: rmccullough
Password:
Logging in...
Getting list of devices...
id name
1 web
2 Lenovo X220
3 Maurice Laptop
4 Maurice MBA
5 vm-ubuntu
To reinstall a device, enter the id (leave blank to set up a new device):
Please enter a name for the new device: FreeNAS
Setting up new device...
Finalizing device setup...
Synchronizing with server (this could take a while)...

Last edited:

Teeps

Dabbler
Thank you very much for posting this. I will attempt it soon myself. Can you share some details regarding the size of the content you are backing up and how much space SpiderOak consumes within the jail? It seems like the disc space requirements are quite high if you are backing up many terabytes. Are you mounting your volume read-only within the jail?

rmccullough

Patron
I have not used it to backup yet. I mainly used it to restore data I had backed up on an old home user NAS that failed.

The jail does use A LOT of space because it has to load all of the fresh ports stuff. (UPDATE: You can clean out the fresh ports Delete ports snapshot)

Yes, my plan was to mount the file systems I wanted to backup as read-only, but I never got around to this. I need to still.

Last edited: