Speed copying files from Windows

rfielder

Explorer
I have my FreeNAS server built, and am testing it. Right now, I am testing disk temps when copying lots of large files. So far, the drive temps look good, but other aspects of the system seem questionable.

Specifications for the server are in my signature.

At this time, the file copy speed as reported by Windows 10 is bouncing up and down constantly. It goes from about 2MB/s (Windows terms) to just over 24MB/s.

That seems kind of slow.

In an earlier iteration, there were only six data drives. I added the seventh because Amazon had the drives on sale. With six drives, at least once I was getting over 100MB/s (reported by Windows).

When I added the seventh drive, I did a full reinstall of FreeNAS 11.2. In fact, each time there has been a system change, I do a full reinstall.

All connections are gigabit ethernet. Nothing else has changed in the system config or my network.

What sort of speed should I be getting with this system? How could adding a seventh drive make things slower?

MikeyG

Patron
I would expect you'd be able to saturate a gigabit connection pretty easily with that set up. Have you done any speed testing locally within FreeNAS to eliminate the possibility of a network issue?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's really hard to meaningfully comment on this without more data. How's the pool performing? And the network? Does the client have trouble with other transfers? Does the server? Etc..

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
each time there has been a system change, I do a full reinstall.
This is not required. FreeNAS has a fixed set of drivers and doesn't do anything during install to shape itself to the hardware. Your config is the only thing that matters and it can be easily saved/restored between installations if that becomes necessary.

Eiswolf

Cadet
I experience similarly poor performance.

Setup:
Dell R710 2x4 Cores, 96 GB RAM
vmware 5.5
FreeNAS 11.2

FreeNAS is running as VM with 4 cores, 32 GB, 20 GB Partition (Raid 10 Array: 4x 15k 300 GB SAS on Dell Perc 6/i)
Data drive is a Dell MD1000 with 2 Raid 5 Arrays (9x 300 GB 10k SAS + 5x 300 GB 10k SAS + 1 global HS) connected with a DELL PERC 6/e HBA which is attached to the FreeNAS VM via DirectPath I/O.

I get write rates between 2 and 20 MBytes/s and the Web-Interface is extremely sluggisch and sometime unable to connect.
Other VMs on the same machine are able to saturate the GBit connection at about 120 MByte/s and have a flawless desktop performance if I connect to them via RPD, therefore I think the network is not the bottleneck here.

Looking at the performance values in vmware CPU is about 11%. Can't read out the disk delays since FreeNAS Interface does not work properly.

Any suggestions?

sretalla