Special/Foreign Characters Won't Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalupa_batman

Dabbler
I'm not sure if this is a Windows issue or a FreeNAS issue, but when I connect to the CIFS share via Windows Explorer any folder with foreign characters does not display (é, à, Ö, etc.). This is the case on Windows and Ubuntu so I think its a FreeNAS setting somewhere that I missed. I didn't see anything in the forums or the guide about this. Also, the problem folders do display in the terminal of FreeNAS, but there's a strange symbol in place of the character.

I did see a thread where someone couldn't display characters in the terminal and the localization needed to be changed, but that didn't seem to help my issue.

Code:
[root@pandora] ~# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Attachments

• FreeNAS_Terminal.PNG
    FreeNAS_Terminal.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Windows_Explorer.PNG
    Windows_Explorer.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 273

alexg

Contributor
I can tell you that mine works fine and I didn't have to do anything special. They were moved from Windows to FreeNAS CIFS. In shell, they all show up as octal number \xxx\xxx\xxx etc...

D

dlavigne

In System -> Settings -> General, are the Language and Console Keyboard Map settings correct?

chalupa_batman

Dabbler
The language is, but I'm not 100% on the keyboard map. I know I was playing with it, but I can't recall if I saved it or not.

chalupa_batman

Dabbler
Confirmed both are configured correctly. I'm trying a clean install to see if that does anything.

chalupa_batman

Dabbler
So I was doing a bit more research and I found that my issue may have been to do with rsync. Apparently rsync does not like this special/foreign characters without options. I'm going to give it more of a look tonight.

chalupa_batman

Dabbler
It is an issue with rsync. I was using DeltaCopy client on Windows, but when I manually copy the folders over, they display correctly in both the terminal and Windows Explorer. I've tried a few different parameters in the DeltaCopy settings, but those don't work either. If you use rsync, what parameters are you using to avoid this? I've tried
Code:
--iconv=utf8,iso88591
with no luck.

alexg

Contributor
I moved mine through Windows share. Perhaps there is an issue with DeltaCopy

Serverbaboon

Dabbler
I have this problem, I launch Deltacopy to Rsync new Music rips to my Freenas Box, if I have UTF8 selected in the CIFS service the four folders I have with european characters appear as folders with blank names, switching the the CIFS service to iso-8859-1 seems to fix it but not sure at what cost yet.

If I go to the command prompt on the Freenas box and list the Music folder I get the below for the folder for Björk

Bj<F6>rk/

Serverbaboon

Dabbler
Yes stopped using Deltacopy.

To restore the characters, noted which folders and files had issues in utf8, switched to iso-859 copied to a windows box , switched the cifs back and coped the files backusing windows.

Basically recopy the files if you can first, copy off and restore if you can't.

ovizii

Patron
Did you ever figure out if there was a drawback to this?
switching the the CIFS service to iso-8859-1 seems to fix it but not sure at what cost yet.

ovizii

Patron
Doing some more research I found there are 2 different UTF-8 char sets: UTF-8 NFC & UTF-8 NFD
so the question is if you copy stuff with the UTF8 for MAC char set into a CIFS share what will it be at the destination, still UTF8 for MAC or does it get converted? And is this the best way or should I convert them into general UTF8?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You do realize you set the UTF type from the CIFS settings? There is only one UTF type listed.. "UTF-8".

ovizii

Patron
yes, but I'm pretty sure the UTF-8 I set in the CIFS settings is NOT the UTF-8 MAC version!
OSX filesystems use Unicode Normalization Form D (NFD), where linux uses Form C (NFC)

So I'm just trying to figure out more details about what's what...

Status
Not open for further replies.